Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Holiday Roasted Ducks (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f15/holiday-roasted-ducks-101311.html)

Kayelle 12-26-2018 01:24 PM

Holiday Roasted Ducks
 
I've roasted many domestic ducks over the years with this method and they turn out beautifully every single time. They are worth the effort to be sure and the directions should be followed to the letter for perfect results.

Hint: I use an x-acto knife for the very important scoring of the skin.




https://www.thehungrymouse.com/2009/...o-crispy-skin/

Addie 12-26-2018 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayelle (Post 1576827)
I've roasted many domestic ducks over the years with this method and they turn out beautifully every single time. They are worth the effort to be sure and the directions should be followed to the letter for perfect results.

Hint: I use an x-acto knife for the very important scoring of the skin.

https://www.thehungrymouse.com/2009/...o-crispy-skin/

Thanks KL. Pirate's birthday is tomorrow. Next month on my next shopping trip, I will be picking up a duck for him. My sister used to make one for him every year. She is gone, so I will have to continue the tradition.

Kayelle 12-26-2018 01:56 PM

You're welcome Addie. I know he will enjoy it.
I don't carve the birds, but remove the backbone with kitchen shears, and use the shears to cut it into quarters for serving.

Addie 12-26-2018 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayelle (Post 1576837)
You're welcome Addie. I know he will enjoy it.
I don't carve the birds, but remove the backbone with kitchen shears, and use the shears to cut it into quarters for serving.

And I have a brand new pair of kitchen shears that come apart for cleaning. Thanks. Roasted Duck is Pirate's favorite treat. He won't even share a bare bone with anyone.

Do you cut it after it is roasted?

Kayelle 12-26-2018 02:44 PM

Yes, don't cut it up before it's completed. Pirate will need to help you make this with all the in and out of the oven for the turning of the duck. I wouldn't want to cook 4 of them like I do without the help of the Souschef. With the duck flipping, it's helpful to use the handle of a cooking fork inside each end of the bird.
For me, there's nothing more wonderful than sharing good food and Pirate should think about that in my opinion.

Rascal 12-26-2018 03:45 PM

I've never cooked duck but my friends order it when at chinese restaurants. How do you get the skin crispy, I know how to get pork crispy, with salt, is it the same with duck. I think I'm going to try this?

Russ

Kayelle 12-26-2018 04:44 PM

Rascal, I salt the ducks liberally with Kosher salt but it's the cooking method in the detailed directions that makes them perfectly crispy every time.

Addie 12-26-2018 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayelle (Post 1576860)
Yes, don't cut it up before it's completed. Pirate will need to help you make this with all the in and out of the oven for the turning of the duck. I wouldn't want to cook 4 of them like I do without the help of the Souschef. With the duck flipping, it's helpful to use the handle of a cooking fork inside each end of the bird.
For me, there's nothing more wonderful than sharing good food and Pirate should think about that in my opinion.

Thanks for the tip of large forks. I just happen to have two large ones.

Kayelle 12-26-2018 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Addie (Post 1576889)
Thanks for the tip of large forks. I just happen to have two large ones.


I'm somewhat worried about you doing this Addie. Have Pirate bring the pan to you at your table for the flipping. SC assisted in flipping the ducks with a rubber spatula (don't break the skin) as I held the ducks up with the fork handles. It's not difficult when you both get it down.

I'm excited for you to do this.

Addie 12-26-2018 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayelle (Post 1576900)
I'm somewhat worried about you doing this Addie. Have Pirate bring the pan to you at your table for the flipping. SC assisted in flipping the ducks with a rubber spatula (don't break the skin) as I held the ducks up with the fork handles. It's not difficult when you both get it down.

I'm excited for you to do this.

Thank you for your concern. And you are right. Pirate will gladly help me with the roasting. After all it will be his birthday present.

I have conquered a lot since the loss of my leg. But the kitchen is still my personal terror area. Sitting in the wheelchair I cant see what is in the pan. So I have to stand. I am still having problems with that. I had a specialist come and show me some safety tips in the kitchen. But I am still nervous there. I keep the wheelchair right behind me at all time with the wheels locked. So if I should start to fall, it will be right into the chair. I just hope I have the good sense to ignore what is in the pan. Just toss it to the back of the stove so it won't spill on me.

Yeah, Pirate is definitely going to have to help me. And I know he will be quite willing. It is his favorite food,

Rocklobster 12-26-2018 10:49 PM

I have a duck in my freezer..I think I'll give this technique a go..always looking for something new to try...I have been putting it on a beer can roaster/rack. that works pretty good as the whole bird is exposed to the heat..

Cheryl J 12-27-2018 12:49 AM

Kay, I remember a pic you posted of your beautiful roasted Christmas ducks....I think it was from last year...? They look wonderful! :yum:

Kayelle 12-27-2018 11:11 AM

Yep Cheryl, this is the 4th year I've cooked them for Christmas with 3 others along the way.

Wow, that's a flock of 19 ducks.:ohmy:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.