Chicken Green Chile Stew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bethzaring

Master Chef
I just saw where K-girl had asked for this recipe. What got this on my mind was ordering it at a restaurant recently. Most New Mexican restaurants here will offer a chicken green chile stew....but try to find a recipe for it in a cookbook!

So here is my version of this delicious stew/soup.

2T. olive oil
1 large onion, diced
1 can whole corn
1 can creamed corn

4 cloves garlic
1 T. coriander
1 1/2 t. cumin
1/4 t. paprika
1/4 t salt
1/4 t, black pepper

16 oz. green chile sauce
4 C. chicken stock
1 lime, juiced
3 to 4 cups pulled chicken

4 cups cooked diced potatoes with cooking water

Heat oil, add onion and corn. Add garlic and spices. Add chile sauce ( or add chopped green chiles) chicken stock, cooked potatoes, lime juice and chicken

This is how I wrote the recipe. Use your imagination for how long between the addition of the ingredients!

Craig makes this and it's delish. He makes it, then divides it and puts in hominy (posole) for me and potatoes for him. Hopefully, he'll post his version.

Sounds good, Beth. I make this, too, although I usually use three kinds of peppers that we grow, instead of green sauce: poblanos, Anaheims and jalapeños. I don't put in a starch, either. Potatoes or hominy sound like good additions. If I put in hominy, though, in my understanding, it becomes posole verde.

I want this!

Could you be more specific for,

16 oz. Green Chili Sauce?

Dang, round here, there is a whole grocery store shelf of green sauce!

everything from enchilada sauce, to Herdez Green Chili Salsa, whitch I think, is mostly Tomatillos.

Eric, Austin Tx.

My green chili sauce is made with poblanos (Hatch if available), onion, garlic, tomatillos, freshly toasted, ground cumin, chicken or pork stock, cilantro, S&P. I've never made green chili stew with chicken, as I prefer boneless Country Style pork ribs, but I do use this sauce for chicken enchiladas. All veges get roasted for the sauce.

Last edited:
Traditionally green chile stew is made with pork in these parts (Northern New Mexico). But for local benefits, street fairs, fundraisers, etc, you will always find frito pies and chicken green chile stew.

Here is the recipe I use to can my green chile sauce, AKA enchilada sauce.

Green Chile Enchilada Sauce – Bountiful Baskets Blog

This year I canned over 50 pints of this green chile sauce. I put a pint into every soup I make.

You can purchase this sauce in stores around here. Eric, I will look to see what company sells it. I don't see Herdez products here.

Last edited:
My green chili sauce is made with poblanos (Hatch if available), onion, garlic, tomatillos, freshly toasted, ground cumin, chicken or pork stock, cilantro, S&P. I've never made green chili stew with chicken, as I prefer boneless Country Style pork ribs, but I do use this sauce for chicken enchiladas. All veges get roasted for the sauce.

When I use this for enchiladas, I "fry" the sauce in Manteca and if needed add Masa to thicken.

"You can purchase this sauce in stores around here. Eric, I will look to see what company sells it. I don't see Herdez products here.[/QUOTE]

Well we do have Herdez products but no green chile sauce by them. I was surprised how many varieties of green chile sauce my Smith's/Krogers carries. I stopped writing after 6... Bueno, Santa Fe Ole, Hatch Valley 505 Southwestern, Garcia's Kitchen, La Salita, Garcia El Rancho.

Attachments

• IMG_0987.jpg
    IMG_0987.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 257
I just saw where K-girl had asked for this recipe. What got this on my mind was ordering it at a restaurant recently. Most New Mexican restaurants here will offer a chicken green chile stew....but try to find a recipe for it in a cookbook!

So here is my version of this delicious stew/soup.

2T. olive oil
1 large onion, diced
1 can whole corn
1 can creamed corn

4 cloves garlic
1 T. coriander
1 1/2 t. cumin
1/4 t. paprika
1/4 t salt
1/4 t, black pepper

16 oz. green chile sauce
4 C. chicken stock
1 lime, juiced
3 to 4 cups pulled chicken

4 cups cooked diced potatoes with cooking water

Heat oil, add onion and corn. Add garlic and spices. Add chile sauce ( or add chopped green chiles) chicken stock, cooked potatoes, lime juice and chicken

This is how I wrote the recipe. Use your imagination for how long between the addition of the ingredients!

Beth, thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!
I've wanted to try this New Mexico Style Stew for years now.
We go to NW often and I've never had the guts to order it in a restaurant.
I got a recipe a long time ago from a Chef Friend, but I really, truly didn't care for it.
Now I know what it was that turned me off, it was made with Pork and the salsa verde, I don't care for Tomatillos.

IMG_3971.jpg

I buy ^^^ Hatch brand Chiles as well as Chile Sauce, but never thought to make my own and freeze it!
We get Hatch Chiles very year and I buy fresh when I can.
When the man with the Roaster on the Back of his trailer parks outside the market and offers to roast those fresh Chiles for you, oh man! The smell is intoxicating!
I always buy Mild, but I think I'll give the Medium a spin...

Beth, do you have a photo of your Chicken Chile Stew?
I did an internet search and they all look different, depending on the Cook.

Did I say I'm excited!
:clap:

I make a green chile with tomatillos, three different chiles, both roasted and fresh and with pork.

I buy ^^^ Hatch brand Chiles as well as Chile Sauce said:
Beth[/B], do you have a photo of your Chicken Chile Stew?
I did an internet search and they all look different, depending on the Cook.

Did I say I'm excited!
:clap:

I *think* you may be excited?! And yes, the smell is intoxicating. This was the first year for me to roast my own chiles, and as with most things, there was a learning curve. But I got the aroma down!

I don't have a photo. I plan on making another batch this weekend and will photograph it for you. Dh says it was the best soup he has ever eaten. He gets a thermos of soup every day in his lunch box, so I make a lot of soup.

Oh, we only eat mild chiles. Dh's stomach can't tolerate medium or hotter chiles any more.

Last edited:
okay, modifications on the original recipe. You may not need any chicken stock, or only one or 2 cups of stock. Forgot to add 2 bay leaves and a can of peas to the recipe (and the below photo).

Attachments

• DSCN8724.jpg
    DSCN8724.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 224
  • DSCN8731.jpg
    DSCN8731.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 227
okay, modifications on the original recipe. You may not need any chicken stock, or only one or 2 cups of stock. Forgot to add 2 bay leaves and a can of peas to the recipe (and the below photo).

Beth, that looks so ONO-LICIOUS!!! (a Hawaiian riff on delicious :yum:)
And where did you find canned cooked chicken? My Mom use to get a whole chicken (a small one) in a can and made all kinds of soups with it. I haven't seen it in years.
Thank you again Beth for the photo!

Thanks Beth, I'll look for that!
I've been poaching B/S Chicken Thighs, stashing the broth, shredding the meat and portioning it out for the deep freeze. I too use it for my Enchiladas.

Here's the funny thing, DH very much dislikes any sort of "Mexican Food",
nut ever since we starting visiting New Mexico and eating out there, he's discovered a new cuisine.

So I have figured out how to make those dishes that he enjoyed the most and serve them without and beans or rice (and no sour cream or … "Ewwww, it's too creeeeamy")

I prefer the Green over Red Sauce, Christmas, well I can take it or leave it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom