Special Present From Spike

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Addie

Chef Extraordinaire
Spike dropped of two buckets of chicken for the game. One was all wings and the other chicken pieces. What I didn't see was the beautiful package of Country Style Ribs in the fridge.

So tomorrow (I have a medical appt. today) I will first try to make a BBQ sauce using ketchup and then apply it to the ribs. I only have three bottles of ketchup waiting to be used for something other than FF's. Two of the bottles were a gift to me from one of the parties the building had. First I will look here right in DC. And if I find I don't have all the ingredients, I will have to hunt for a recipe that does ask for all the ingredients I do have on hand.

Baby back ribs...I'm wondering where you all get them. Only ribs I see are Farmer John giant ones.

Anyways, this got my taste buds going.

My old man liked pork ribs baked in the oven. Salt and pepper, nothing else.

Last edited:
Baby back ribs...I'm wondering where you all get them. Only ribs I see are Farmer John giant ones.

Anyways, this got my taste buds going.

My old man liked pork ribs baked in the oven. Salt and pepper, nothing else.

Addie mentioned Country Style Ribs. Down here, that means pork shoulder sliced like ribs. I can't speak for anywhere else. Maybe there is an expert on everything who can explain it, with a link to a website to show us all how little I know.

CD

I often use country style ribs (boneless) to make green chili stew.

Can you post ingredients PF? I can't see unless I subscribe :(

INGREDIENTS
⅔ cup ketchup
½ cup cider vinegar
¼ cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons pimentón (smoked Spanish paprika)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
Nutritional Information
Email Grocery List
PREPARATION
Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan, bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook for 5 minutes.

INGREDIENTS
⅔ cup ketchup
½ cup cider vinegar
¼ cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons pimentón (smoked Spanish paprika)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
Nutritional Information
Email Grocery List
PREPARATION
Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan, bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook for 5 minutes.
Thank you RP

Spike dropped of two buckets of chicken for the game. One was all wings and the other chicken pieces. What I didn't see was the beautiful package of Country Style Ribs in the fridge.

So tomorrow (I have a medical appt. today) I will first try to make a BBQ sauce using ketchup and then apply it to the ribs. I only have three bottles of ketchup waiting to be used for something other than FF's. Two of the bottles were a gift to me from one of the parties the building had. First I will look here right in DC. And if I find I don't have all the ingredients, I will have to hunt for a recipe that does ask for all the ingredients I do have on hand.

Addie, how will you cook them?
I too have a nice package in the deep freeze.
I was going to put them into a big ole pot
of Marinara, but I's like to do something different with them ….

Addie, how will you cook them?
I too have a nice package in the deep freeze.
I was going to put them into a big ole pot
of Marinara, but I's like to do something different with them ….

Baste them with the sauce cook them in the oven at 325ºF. Low and slow. About every 15 minutes or so, turn them over and apply more sauce. I just might make a bed of the sauce for the meat to sit in. Not enough to make them swim, just enough to act as a coating.

I find that BBQ sauces tend to stick to the meat the longer it is cooked.

Pirate and Spike both like HOT, HOT foods. So I might set some aside for them and add Frank's Hot Sauce. Their favorite.

Last edited:
I love country style boneless ribs. Not a fan of the bone in style. The bones can be sharp and in pieces.

They smoke really well.

Baste them with the sauce cook them in the oven at 325ºF. Low and slow. About every 15 minutes or so, turn them over and apply more sauce. I just might make a bed of the sauce for the meat to sit in. Not enough to make them swim, just enough to act as a coating.

I find that BBQ sauces tend to stick to the meat the longer it is cooked.

Pirate and Spike both like HOT, HOT foods. So I might set some aside for them and add Frank's Hot Sauce. Their favorite.

325F is hotter than I go for pork shoulder, of any cut. I tend to go with 275F. It takes longer, but I'm okay with that. I've never cooked pork shoulder at 325F, so I have no idea whether it is better or worse.

BTW, I say cook them all the same, and let Spike and Pirate put hot sauce on there own portions. That's what I do when cooking for my friends. I put the food on the table, along with a variety of bottles of hot sauce.

CD

I think I will let them do the hot sauce themselves. I have a rather large half gallon jar of the stuff.

I am not a big fan of pork. Never have been. I do buy two large two inch chops every month. Way more than I can eat. So Pirate gets both of them. Those get done in the oven and broiled on both sides as the last step.

A fresh shoulder is just "too much" meat for either of us. So I very rarely buy one. But a smoked shoulder is another story. Both of us start picking as soon as there is even a small spot that is cooked enough to be edible. The veggies get eaten the next day as hash for morning breakfast with a couple of eggs. Although I have been known to steal a potato and carrots at times and mash them together with a large pat of butter, salt and pepper. Yum. Pork ribs. The have to have BBQ sauce on them. With the bone in, eat them with your hands like a cave man would.

To be clear, "Low and Slow" is not 325 degrees Addie. "Country Style Ribs" is nothing more than slices of pork shoulder. You probably won't be interested how I did pork ribs a couple nights ago, but the same could be done with your "Country Style Ribs". You could always use something other than TJ's brand of Asian sauce, or any sauce really.

I marinated meaty individual pork ribs in TJ's Soyaki overnight and they've been tightly wrapped in foil at 225 degrees for the target time of 140 minutes. I'll dip them individually in more Soyaki, broil till browned,

To be clear, "Low and Slow" is not 325 degrees Addie. "Country Style Ribs" is nothing more than slices of pork shoulder. You probably won't be interested how I did pork ribs a couple nights ago, but the same could be done with your "Country Style Ribs". You could always use something other than TJ's brand of Asian sauce, or any sauce really.

The closest I ever come to Asian style cooking, unfortunately is Ah So sauce. I love a lot of their food, but am too chicken to try and make their dishes. For that I make Ramen Noodles and add meat to it. I wonder if BTB has a sauce for Asian cooking? If not I just might write them and suggest they try to come up with one. The powdered packet in ramen noodles is just too salty.

Back
Top Bottom