Sending real cards by snail mail...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
...just wondering...does anyone else here still do this? :)

I was just thinking about it, since I mailed out several birthday and anniversary cards for friends and family in the past few days. February is a busy month. :LOL: The most important one is to my grandson Aiden, it's his 6th birthday in a few days and like the other grands, he loves getting his own mail. :heart:

So many greetings these days are sent via social media. I think everyone, no matter their age, still love to get real cards in the mail with handwritten greetings. I know I do. :)

Very rarely. In fact, I very rarely mail anything. I sheet of 20 stamps will last me two years or more... if I don't lose them.

CD

Very limited. Occasion cards have become an expensive proposition to buy and to mail.

I won't spend $4 for a card either, Andy. I go to Dollar General a few times a year and buy several - they have nice American Greetings cards marked at nearly $4 or more, for a buck.

I am always getting those cards soliciting money for a charity. I keep the cards and toss the rest as junk mail. I get my stamps for free, so between the freebies of cards and stamps it costs me nothing to send a quick greeting.

Kids do love to get their own mail. Every time I send one to Poo's son, I always put in a footnote. "When your father was your age he blah, blah, blah. Nothing major. "He hated to make his own bed." I think every child needs some ammunition on his side of the argument sometimes. It sure beats "Because I said so!"

Very rarely. In fact, I very rarely mail anything. I sheet of 20 stamps will last me two years or more... if I don't lose them.

CD

I hear ya, Casey. The only times I mail anything (like I said, lol), is for birthday cards, etc. But I get the feeling I'm one of the few who do that. :LOL:

Everything else is done online, with the exception of the one check I write a month, to the gardening service. They don't have a 'pay online', so I write them a check, put it in an envelope, and stick it on the back fence weekly when they arrive. :LOL:

Last edited:
Yes I still send cards...big time. I am a stationery addict, and have been since a child. I know how much snail mail cards are appreciated and I love sending them. I have quite the collections of cards I have bought in my travels. I also have a lot of forever stamps I bought a while back!

We still send Birthday cards by mail. How else will the grandchildren get their money? lol

I spent many years working for Hallmark. I know the markup. Other than the cards mentioned above, I can't see sending them if a phone call will do the job much better. Of course, I know we are a dying breed. lol

Last edited:
I hear ya, Casey. The only times I mail anything (like I said, lol), is for birthday cards, etc. But I get the feeling I'm one of the few who do that. :LOL:

Everything else is done online, with the exception of the one check I write a month, to the gardening service. They don't have a 'pay online', so I write them a check, put it in an envelope, and stick it on the back fence weekly when they arrive. :LOL:
I think you if you use "Bill Pay" through an online banking site it will send an actual check to the recipient (the few times I used "Bill Pay" it was a check sent with my account number on it. I printed out the image for my records after it was cashed). I am pretty sure you can set a recurring payment for monthly bills.

I still send a few to the very young, very old and very special people in my life.

I buy mine at the $tore 2fer a dollar or a small packet of note cards.

I remember how excited I used to get when I was little and received a piece of mail. I don't know if it still makes an impact but I like to think that it does.

I'm from the old school. All birthdays, anniversaries and special occasions are acknowledged with cards. Sadly, at my age, I keep a supply of gentle sympathy cards.

I purchase all our cards from our local Dollar Tree and make a list of each calendar's quarter of recipients and buy the cards. I address all that need to be addressed, put a "to be mailed date" in the corner where the stamp would be and keep them in date order in a rack on a shelf in the kitchen.

Been doing this for years and rarely miss a special date.

The only things I add to the envelopes are fun age/gender-appropriate stickers. The grands love it and immediately know some of the mail is meant for them.

Souschef is much better about sending cards than I am. That's rare for a man in my experience. On the other hand he is a rare man in my experience. He sends cards to everyone important to him and it seems to be the same in his family.

I send birthday cards (with $$) to my kids and grands but seldom get one in return.

SC and I exchange mushy cards for every occasion and I save them. I've been known to re gift them sometimes and he doesn't notice. :whistling
Hope he doesn't read this.

We send cards for Christmas and I send Birthday cards to my great grandsons..

Other than that, like Katie H, I seem to send more sympathy cards than I'd like to.. Our 1957 high school classmates stay in touch and each sympathy card saddens me.. :(

Ross

When DH was alive, he was a great collector and sender of snail mail cards to nieces, nephews, his sibs and parents. We also regifted our birthday cards to each other.

I am always getting those cards soliciting money for a charity. I keep the cards and toss the rest as junk mail.

At my parents address they constantly get junk mail with free cards and envelopes. I usually try to intercept the mail before they send any money. They have a box full of cards and matching envelopes.

Last Xmas I did cards for my grandkids and posted them. They got a surprise and were so happy to get these. Dil said it was a good thing to do. I always remember getting birthday cards from my nana at birthdays with some money.
We should do this more.

Russ

It depends on who the recipient is. There are a lot of "older" (okay, my age and older) folks who I know appreciate a card in the mail, so I still send them out. For the younger set or casual acquaintances, they seem just as happy with a Facebook acknowledgment or email.

I guess I'm kind of in the old school camp myself. Personally, I enjoy getting cards in the mail. I feel like cards are classy and a definite step up from "point-and-click" greetings.

Back
Top Bottom