Friday, 2-8-2019, what's on your plate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Our planned dinner was the exact same as medtran49..

After running errands in our freezing weather, we settled on grilled cheese sandwiches and chicken noodle soup..

Will finish off the chocolate cake later..

Ross

I'm trying to decide on what takeout to get. Either diner or Italian.

The diner has had some good specials lately. Last night, they had a fantastic lamb shank braised with carrots, onions, and peas.

But the Italian place has a steak pizzaola dish that I've been wanting to try. Decisions, decisions.

My wife and boy had takeout Chinese before I woke up tonight.

Bucky, I didn't know about "steak pizzaola". Chef John says you need vine ripe fresh tomatoes so I'll be making his version in a few months. Love what I learn here.

I'll be pulling out the last freezer bag of my killer pasta sauce and serving it with Orecchiette pasta. SC's glorified salads on the side.

I made a meat loaf yesterday for planned leftovers, so I'll warm a slice of that for dinner. I made a small red potato salad this morning, so that will be a side.

BT, I personally would go with the Steak Pizzaiola :yum:
My SIL taught me how to make it... :idea: I haven't made that in the longest time … that may be Sunday Supper with handmade pasta!

steak-pizzaola.jpg

steak-pizzaola1.jpg
[file photos from my kitchen in SoAZ]

Last edited:
Bucky, I didn't know about "steak pizzaola". Chef John says you need vine ripe fresh tomatoes so I'll be making his version in a few months. Love what I learn here.

I'll be pulling out the last freezer bag of my killer pasta sauce and serving it with Orecchiette pasta. SC's glorified salads on the side.

K-L, I looked up Chef John's recipe for pizziaola, and it's spot on with both hot and sweet peppers, and the balsamic vinegar.

Also, that it can be cooked relatively quickly with a more tender cut of beef (my fave) or low and slow with something like a chuck roast.

Family wanted lamb so I made lamb loin chops braised (with lemon, garlic and chicken broth), fresh green bean salad and shells in creamy garlic sauce.

Last edited:
Being a forward thinking person, I got a jump on the day and did take-out pizza for dinner tonight. Meatlover's pizza with a beer. Delicious.

BT, I personally would go with the Steak Pizzaiola :yum:
My SIL taught me how to make it... :idea: I haven't made that in the longest time … that may be Sunday Supper with handmade pasta!

View attachment 33544

View attachment 33545
[file photos from my kitchen in SoAZ]

That looks delicious, K-girl.

Unfortunately, the Italian joint closed early (I can't figure out how a place stays in business that's only open a few days a week, and closes by 8:30 on a Friday).

I ended up with pork chops Marsala from the diner. Better said it was 2 pork cutlets swimming in brown gravy with a few canned mushrooms. Side o' overcooked pasta. Salad and bread.

Your pictures look delicious Kgirl. It's new to me, and can't wait for great tomatoes to make it.

Kay, I make mine with Marinara from canned tomatoes and it tastes just fine.
And I use more tender meat such as NY Strip. :yum:

That looks delicious, K-girl.

Unfortunately, the Italian joint closed early (I can't figure out how a place stays in business that's only open a few days a week, and closes by 8:30 on a Friday).

I ended up with pork chops Marsala from the diner. Better said it was 2 pork cutlets swimming in brown gravy with a few canned mushrooms. Side o' overcooked pasta. Salad and bread.

Well BT, both my Pizzaiola and Marsala
chicken marsala.jpg
[file photo of my Chicken Marsala with fresh handmade Pasta]

pass mustard with all of my American-Italian In-Laws,
so maybe you and yours just need to come sit down at the table in My Kitchen In The Middle Of The Desert...

OH MAN! Now I need to have some pasta, but its not Sunday :):)

Pulled pork (last pack in the freezer)...

Our planned dinner was the exact same as medtran49.....
Pulled pork must be a "thing" around DC right now. I just picked up brioche rolls from Aldi today to use with freezer pulled pork in the next few days.

Today, however, we shopped Aldi and Lowe's. Dinner was a quick pot of cheesy cauliflower soup.

Back
Top Bottom