Chicken Parts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
Joel gave me an idea for a new discussion question.

:chicken:Do you choose to cook with breasts or thighs and why?

:chicken:Is that an exclusive preference?

:chicken:How do you feel about wings and drum sticks?

• I prefer dark meat. DH dislikes dark meat. So, I cook both breasts and thighs.
  • I love wings; my DH thinks they are too fiddly and not worth the effort.
  • I am quite fond of drum sticks; DH - nope.

Usually thighs, but for things like when I want sliced or matchsticks, as in Some stir fries and soups, I use breasts. I rarely use wings - they've gotten way too expensive, given the amount of meat on them, due to their popularity. Occasionally I will get leg quarters, and separate the drumsticks from them, but usually, I can get thighs as cheap as anything, and they have the most meat to bone of anything but breast. And they have the most flavor, though, of course, some prefer white meat.

Here in Greater Montreal, boneless, skinless, chicken thighs cost almost as much as boneless, skinless, chicken breasts. I usually cut up a whole chicken. That way, I get good stuff for making chicken stock.

Whether or not we prefer legs, thighs, etc., our biggest challenge is to purchase poultry that hasn't been treated with hormones and antibiotics. Glenn won't eat anything that has been tampered with and neither do I.

As far as "parts" choices, he's more of a "boob" man and I love, love, love dark meat, particularly thighs, but we strike a happy medium when it comes to how I prepare it. A little for him, a little for me.

Breasts or thighs depends on what the dish is. Generally, I prefer breasts, as thighs are a bit gamey for my taste.

I like wings a lot. I don’t like drumsticks at all.

Breasts or thighs depends on what the dish is. Generally, I prefer breasts, as thighs are a bit gamey for my taste.

I like wings a lot. I don’t like drumsticks at all.
I do like wings, but I prefer them with the tips removed. When I can, I buy the “drumettes.” If I have whole wings, I separate the tips and use them for stock.

Joel gave me an idea for a new discussion question.

Almost exclusively thighs...I love them best for grilling' and for most chicken dishes. Once in a while I'll buy breasts for a particular recipe such as chicken parmesan, or if I'm making a chicken salad for a pot luck or get together and want it to look all pretty and white. :) For those occasions, I usually braise or poach them.

Wings...yes! A huge batch of grilled or roasted wings is one of my faves. :yum:

Drums....not so much. I don't buy them in bulk trays, but I'll gnaw on them when I buy a rotisserie.

We both prefer thigh meat, although SC is a convert from breast meat. He says he never knew what he was missing before. He also enjoys the more flavorful thigh meat cooked to 180 degrees. That's very important I think.

I cook with breast meat only when it's a very quick cook, without danger of overcooking. I like them for a chicken salad for example.

We really enjoy wings, especially on the grill. Neither one of us like drum sticks, although I'll strip the dark meat from them throwing away all the icky bits from a roast chicken.

We prefer chicken thighs-bone-in and skin-on. I like them pan roasted.

We sometimes make chicken breasts, both with bone and skin and boneless and skinless. Breasts do especially well cooked sous vide.

We do wings occasionally.

I seldom roast a whole chicken.

If I'm feeling extra nice, I'll get thigh meat for Himself. Otherwise it's chicken breasts. One grocery store here sells boneless/skinless breasts that have no hormones, no antibiotics, and no added water/sodium "enhancer". Just plain, tasty (yes, tasty!) chicken. I'll by it when it's $1.69 a pound, but with a qualifying ($15) purchase, I've paid as little as $1.29. I've never had a problem with dry meat, maybe remembering to brine it if he's grilling it. Just like Dawgluver, I really really do not like the ookies in dark meat. Having said that, if I can get the thighs for 69 cents a pound (or less), I will use them for soup...and pretty much gag my way through trimming the meat after it's been cooked.

It depends on what I'm making and more importantly what's on sale. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I really enjoy a half chicken from a local firemen's barbeque about the best. Something about the Cornell barbeque sauce that they use just says summer to me.

Cornell Cooperative Extension | Cornell Chicken Barbecue Sauce and Safe Chicken Barbecues

I poach BSCB in stock and use them in place of deli meat for sandwiches, salads, etc...

I also enjoy Buffalo-style chicken wings on a regular basis.

Last edited:
We prefer thighs and keep both boneless/skinless and bone in with skin, in the freezer.. The recipe dictates which I use..

I also keep breasts for particular dishes..

Love wings but, generally use store bought, prepared, for those times I just gotta have a plate of wings..

I like drumsticks fried only so, seldom have them on hand as, I use that much oil anymore..

Ross

Skin on/bone in Thighs, hearts and gizzards. I buy canned breast if I am making a salad. I order hot wings from Pizza Hut for that craving. The occasional rotisserie if I want to make soup.

Skin on/bone in Thighs, hearts and gizzards. I buy canned breast if I am making a salad. I order hot wings from Pizza Hut for that craving. The occasional rotisserie if I want to make soup.

Interesting.. I have seen a few posts referring to canned chicken.. I have never bought it.. I'll have to give it a try..

Ross

I'm puzzled with that quote Joel. Do you mean intensely chicken flavored instead?

I was puzzled too. There is nothing "gamey" about domestic chicken. Flavorful yes. I prefer thighs (but wife does not), but never buy boneless unless for a specific dish. I like bone in thighs fried or roasted, seasoned well.

Boneless breast is good in dishes where it's well seasoned or cut up - I generally have a big bag of them in the freezer. I do occasionally roast split breasts, bone in and skin on so that they retain their juiciness, but breast meat is bland and very easy to overcook. I don't like it when it's dried out, and the boneless style just doesn't work well for that.

I buy wings a lot (they are on my shopping list for today)... so tasty and so easily marinated or seasoned all sorts of ways - lots of herb and spice blends that work well on chicken wings. I season and roast in the oven, or dredge in seasoned flour and deep fry in a Dutch oven. When fried, I will sometimes toss them in various sauces right before serving. I generally have a bottle of one of the many sauces from Buffalo Wild Wings in the pantry. I often treat drumsticks the same way, and I don't consider anything about them "icky".

Another point to consider is that boneless skinless breast is about the most expensive cut of chicken (except for cutlets and tenders perhaps). Dark meat cuts are cheaper AND tastier IMO so it's a win/win.

Back
Top Bottom