Nuts choices for Pesto

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Certifiable Executive Chef
Staff member
I have a big bunch of basil and am thinking of making pesto. I don't have any pine nuts however and frankly they are very expensive. Can I use some other kind of nut for pesto?

Cashews are a good idea and I could pick some up. Currently I have these in my freezer:
walnuts
pecans
almonds
pistachios (not many however - maybe 1/2 C)

Any thoughts about these?

I'd use pecans, just because they're my favorite [emoji2] They would crush up more easily than almonds. I'm sure pistachios would be good, too; I haven't tried it.

Ive used both walnuts and cashews with no issues. Both come out great every time.
And its to the point that I can't even remember the last time I made pesto with pine nuts.

Im actually making a sun dried tomato/ pepper pesto tonight with cashews. ( supposed to be made with hazel nuts, but dont have them on hand)

I don’t make pesto often. In fact, I think I haven’t made it since I lived in Japan. But I did have a really interesting and tasty sauce in a restaurant that was made with sunflower seeds

I don’t make pesto often. In fact, I think I haven’t made it since I lived in Japan. But I did have a really interesting and tasty sauce in a restaurant that was made with sunflower seeds

Ive done a sunflower seed pesto in the past too and was very good ( thanks for reminding me, I almost forgot about it).

I have a walnut tree and make walnut pesto. Walnuts work with olive oil but I've also used walnut oil that I get at Trader Joe's. Never hear a complaint either way.

Ive got basil for Africa ATM. We are still growing it. Last time I made with pine nuts, daughter didn't like the pine nuts so I then went to make it again with walnuts but they were rancid so I threw them out, I ended up using cashews, it's a hit here. I will still try walnuts though. I also made some pasta sauce with my glut of basil, and froze it.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom