Caperberries, how to?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
Capers are defined in recipes in so many ways - it is frustrating or actually more 'annoying'.

According to Mssr Wiki, I quote:
''Capers are categorized and sold by their size, defined as follows, with the smallest sizes being the most desirable: non-pareil (up to 7 mm), surfines (7–8 mm), capucines (8–9 mm), capotes (9–11 mm), fines (11–13 mm), and grusas (14+ mm). If the caper bud is not picked, it flowers and produces a caper berry.''

I know them basically as non-pareil, small, medium, large and caper berries. Saw the 'berries' for the first time today and bought a jar. A quick peek on my phone came up with a recipe for chicken breasts (got), lemon (got), and caper berries (got'em now!).

Come home and check out the recipe in depth and they are actually using just capers - not the large berries, which are more the size of a small grape.

Very annoying to find that many bloggers just do not know the difference in sizes and label all capers as 'caperberries'... grrrr

Not to say I can't still make the recipe but there is a fundamental difference in 'sprinkling tiny capers' in/over a recipe and plunking down a couple of "grapes" on top.

From more that I finally dug into they're not chopped up to be served but left whole.

any one have experience or ways of using them?

If they're too big, chop them up.

Yup. What he said. I always hold one jar up to another and compare size that way. And if you are only finding one size on the shelf, well so what if they are larger than you want. Just make sure you rinse them off. They are usually packed in brine.

Don't think you realize... caper berries are not actually the capers you are thinking of.

The most common capers as you know them are flower buds. If these buds are allowed to flower, then the flower produces the 'fruit' - which is the "berry".

they are different.

I was really just wondering if any one here had used them and in what way.

It is my understanding that they are milder than the capers. Supposedly quite seedy inside but don't want to open the jar yet.

Attachments

• 20190416_191210.jpg
    20190416_191210.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 148
  • 20190416_191228.jpg
    20190416_191228.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 148
We use the little ones in several dishes, picadillo, chicken marsala and on top of a bagel with Nova or tuna salad. I always rinse and drain them first.

We use the little ones in several dishes, picadillo, chicken marsala and on top of a bagel with Nova or tuna salad. I always rinse and drain them first.

The first time I ever tasted them a friend of mine want to go out to one of those hoity toity ritzy towns outside of Boston. Bobby Flay was going to be at the Williams and Sonoma store out there signing his latest cookbook. She want to get an autograph book for herself and one for her daughter. So she asked me to go along to get one and she would gladly pay for it. He autographed both books. Then we went out to eat at a fancy restaurant for lunch. Her plate had the capers on it. I asked her if I could taste one of them. "Sure!" I was hooked. I now look for dishes I can add them to. I love to add them to gravy. Specially in chicken gravy. That little crunch is just what gravy needs to perk it up. They are on my grocery list every month. Drain and rinse them first. I even have Pirate hooked on them.

I wish I could be helpful, but I've never seen capers, or caperberries, this size of the ones in your photo. I guess the first thing I would do is get some and taste one, to see if it astes the same as the tiny capers we are used to.

CD

I'm very curious to hear what they taste like. I had never heard of them before, but it makes sense that there would be a fruit.

The best way to use them.....:yum:;)

Filthy Martini

• 3 ounces vodka or gin
  • 1 ounce caperberry brine
  • 1/2 ounce dry vermouth
  • 1 caperberry, for garnish

Attachments

• caperberry martini.jpeg
    caperberry martini.jpeg
    8.1 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:

Latest posts