Best way to cook Pork Loin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Foodiediva

Assistant Cook
I would love any suggestions on how to prep a pork loin, including of course, what seasoning to use, how long to cook in oven and type of pan to cook it in. I ran out of garlic so I used a really good Italian dressing I love, Kens steakhouse, Italian herbs mix, lime juice. After cooking awhile I put Sweet Baby Rays Hawaiian bbq sauce on one piece {it fell apart I didn't tie it up didn't have any butchers string} so one would be plain and one with sauce. What sides are good? Rice, potatoes, pasta, vegetable choice? I am out of ideas other than to chop it up for a sandwich on a nice bun. :LOL:

You mean a pork loin roast? There are only two of us here, so I usually cut a roast into chops, so I can cook a reasonable amount at different times in different ways.

There are many ways to prep a pork roast. You mentioned Italian dressing, herbs, lime juice and Hawaiian barbecue sauce. That's a lot of different flavor profiles. Have you already cooked it? Are you asking what to do next time?

If it's already cooked with barbecue sauce, you could sauté some vegetables, including onions and garlic, mix them with chopped pork and serve them over rice or alongside diced roasted potatoes.

There are lots of other ways to season and cook pork loin. Check out the Pork forum for some more ideas.

You mean a pork loin roast? There are only two of us here, so I usually cut a roast into chops, so I can cook a reasonable amount at different times in different ways.
We do so somethin simular cause there's only one of us. I separate the dark red from the white meat. The dark gets used in stews, hash, tacos, and stuff. The rest is sliced 1/4 to 1/2" thick, about two to four ounces, which thaw quickly, really quickly if you put it in your pocket, and they fry up in two or three minutes per side.

Pork loin is a lot like chicken, in that you can prep it many ways. The more important thing is to not overcook it.

I have used a lot of different preparations. I try to get pork that has not been injected with a saline solution, so if I choose, I can brine it, or do an overnight marinade that has salt in it.

If you like spicy foods, a Jamaican Jerk marinade is good. There are some good recipes on the internets. You can use some Jamaican rice and peas as a side. Recipes for that are also all over the internets. It is very easy to make.

I have also done some cajun spice marinades, and served it with some cajun rice dressing. I have also served it with boudin.

I'm sorry for not posting recipes, but I don't have any to post. I tend to look at recipes for inspiration, and do my own thing.

Oh, there is one other thing I tried that was really good. It is an Italian thing using a lot of rosemary, including poking a hole all the way trough the roast, and shoving some rosemary through the hole. Picture below (sorry, I don't have a recipe). If you look at the top slice in the picture, you can see the hole in the middle. The outside of the roast was covered with a mix of olive oil, and finely diced rosemary and garlic. I cooked mine on a Weber Kettle, indirect heat with some apple wood mixed into the charcoal. So, it was basically smoked, but not low and slow. I had the heat up to about 350, and took the pork out to rest when the meat hit 145F internal temperature.

CD

Attachments

• PorkRoast001.jpg
    PorkRoast001.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:
I agree that brining and not overcooking are critical to getting a juicy, tasty result. I prefer dry brining, though, because wet brining causes the meat to basically absorb water, diluting the flavor, while dry brining helps the meat retain its own flavorful juices. I season chops with some sort of seasoning blend and let it sit at room temperature for about an hour. Then I cook it to about 130°F - grilled or pan-fried - and remove from the heat source to rest.

Kenji has a great article on the differences here: https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/03/the-food-lab-pork-chops-blah.html

Last edited:
One of our favorite ways to cook pork loin is to, first coat the roast with garlic salt and an equal amount of herbes de province. Just roll it all over well. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to "enjoy" the spices for about an hour or so, fridge or not.

When ready, uncover and put into an open roasting pan. Cook at 425 degrees F until a thermometer registers at 145F. Remove from oven, cover and allow to rest for a few minutes before slicing.

Last edited:
One of my favorites was taught to me by someone years ago and I still use it to this day. Set the pork loin in a roaster or whatever you plan to bake it in. Rub the loin with minced garlic, a little bit of brown sugar, then drizzle the whole thing with teriyaki sauce. Stick it in the fridge for a couple of hours before baking.

Super yum.

A simple way that I like to do with pork loin roast is to butterfly it so that it can be rolled up like a jelly roll. So I cut into it about 1/2" from the cutting board and rotate it. The idea is to get it into 1/2"-1" thickness. Put S&P on it. Then prepare one of those stovetop stuffing mix and spread it on the pork. Roll it up and roast it at 350 until it's done. Serve with gravy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom