Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Sous-Vide Cooking (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f173/)
-   -   Sous Vide Long Cook Roast Beef (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f173/sous-vide-long-cook-roast-beef-102987.html)

Andy M. 09-21-2019 12:12 PM

Sous Vide Long Cook Roast Beef
 
MAYBE WE SHOULD HAVE A SOUS VIDE FORUM

I was watching an episode of the new Good Eats on the subject of sous vide and AB did a segment on cooking tougher cuts of beef as oven roasts. Longer cooking times for a tougher cut will break down the connective tissues and yield a more tender roast.

He chose a roast from the round section of the steer. It typically has little marbling and consequently is a bit on the chewy side. The roast was seasoned and put in a SV bath for 10 hours. He chose to sear the roast before the SV process rather than after.

I thought that was an experiment worth doing so purchased a 2-3 pound top round roast (at $2.99/Lb) to give it a try.

Subsequent research on other sites revealed cooking times varied from 10 hours to "1-2 days".

I think I'll go with 24 hours as that seems to be to be the most frequently recurring number as well as the time suggested by the two top SV circulator makers, Anova and Joule.

I'll start it tonight around dinnertime and we should be all set for a nice Sunday dinner of tender roast beef with baked potatoes and some veggie or other.

I'll follow up tomorrow.

Kayelle 09-21-2019 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy M. (Post 1605402)
MAYBE WE SHOULD HAVE A SOUS VIDE FORUM

I was watching an episode of the new Good Eats on the subject of sous vide and AB did a segment on cooking tougher cuts of beef as oven roasts. Longer cooking times for a tougher cut will break down the connective tissues and yield a more tender roast.

He chose a roast from the round section of the steer. It typically has little marbling and consequently is a bit on the chewy side. The roast was seasoned and put in a SV bath for 10 hours. He chose to sear the roast before the SV process rather than after.

I thought that was an experiment worth doing so purchased a 2-3 pound top round roast (at $2.99/Lb) to give it a try.

Subsequent research on other sites revealed cooking times varied from 10 hours to "1-2 days".

I think I'll go with 24 hours as that seems to be to be the most frequently recurring number as well as the time suggested by the two top SV circulator makers, Anova and Joule.

I'll start it tonight around dinnertime and we should be all set for a nice Sunday dinner of tender roast beef with baked potatoes and some veggie or other.

I'll follow up tomorrow.


I agree Andy, that maybe we should have a SOUS VIDE FORUM.
I'll sure be interested in hearing how your roast turns out!
I know for sure I'll never do another Tri Tip without my Sous Vide, although we like ours rare (125 degrees) for three to four hours, which is another thing.
What temp will you set for your roast?

Andy M. 09-21-2019 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayelle (Post 1605405)
...What temp will you set for your roast?

Probably in the low 130s. SO likes it more medium and I like more medium rare so I try to compromise.

Kayelle 09-21-2019 01:34 PM

Andy, I just remembered I have another chuck pot roast in the freezer, and since I recently rediscovered we do not like "pot roast" I'll give it a shot with the Sous Vide method. Thanks for the light bulb moment.

Andy M. 09-21-2019 01:59 PM

Kayelle, which circulator do you have? I have the Anova Nano and use the Anova app on my phone to control it.

Kayelle 09-21-2019 03:07 PM

I also have the Anova Nano Andy, but have no need to control it with my phone.

caseydog 09-22-2019 01:07 AM

I saw that episode of good eats listed on iTunes (I don't have cable/satellite). That's a pretty lean roast, and not know for tenderness.

I have done a chuck roast, but as a combination smoke and sous vide. It wasn't bad, but not great, either. I need to try one sous vide and sear.

I think your choice of time is good.

BTW, I have the standard Anova. I don't use the app -- I have too many apps, already. :rolleyes:

CD

Andy M. 09-22-2019 09:02 AM

I use the Anova app for instruction more than to control the circulator. The app has specific directions for many types of foods. I also have the Joule app. I use that for cooking instructions as well.

TATTRAT 09-22-2019 10:36 AM

At 130 is about as low as I would go to ensure a tender roast.

I think the idea of a SV forum is great, Andy. It's certainly caught on in home kitchens, and the possibilities are almost endless.

For those that read this and may wonder about the low temps and long periods of time, pasteurization does still occur.

Andy M. 09-22-2019 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TATTRAT (Post 1605481)
...I think the idea of a SV forum is great, Andy. It's certainly caught on in home kitchens, and the possibilities are almost endless...


The best chicken breasts I've ever eaten came out of sous vide. Also have tried poached eggs. Came out fine but not practical unless you need a lot of poached eggs at once.

Andy M. 09-22-2019 06:54 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are the steps and results:


Prepping the top round with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powders.
Attachment 36786

Vacuum sealed and ready for its bath.
Attachment 36787

In the water bath @ 133F.
Attachment 36788

25 hours later, pan seared and ready to carve.
Attachment 36789

Carved and ready to eat.
Attachment 36790

Gotta go, time for dinner.

Final verdict: Cooked as I expected (SO likes it medium). Super tender and tasty. I did have a texture issue one area of the roast. It was too tender. Almost like a paste-like consistency. Not sure if that's the right descriptive but I can't think of anything else to describe it right now.

Silversage 09-22-2019 07:55 PM

Andy, too much 'tenderness' usually means too much time. I watch folks on a few sous vide groups talk about 48 and 72 hour cook times, and they get mush.

Andy M. 09-22-2019 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silversage (Post 1605526)
Andy, too much 'tenderness' usually means too much time. I watch folks on a few sous vide groups talk about 48 and 72 hour cook times, and they get mush.

Yeah, I figured that but it was only in one small part of the roast. Maybe a separate muscle that reacted differently.

caseydog 09-22-2019 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silversage (Post 1605526)
Andy, too much 'tenderness' usually means too much time. I watch folks on a few sous vide groups talk about 48 and 72 hour cook times, and they get mush.

Yeah. Andy, your description of "paste-like" meant something to me, because I've experienced it. At least it was isolated to one area of the roast.

If you do the same roast again, just knock a few hours off.

CD

Andy M. 09-22-2019 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caseydog (Post 1605530)
Yeah. Andy, your description of "paste-like" meant something to me, because I've experienced it. At least it was isolated to one area of the roast.



If you do the same roast again, just knock a few hours off.



CD



If I do this again, I think Ill go with a chuck roast. This one was too lean.

caseydog 09-22-2019 11:11 PM

Here is a good video on sous vide chuck roast. I am probably going to use this kind of technique for my next chuck...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRR5sfs0gFQ

CD

caseydog 09-22-2019 11:13 PM

A cool thing about sous vide is that it is easy to share information, since all circulators do the same thing, no matter what brand or style.

CD

Kayelle 09-27-2019 09:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I followed Andy's lead by using the Sous Vide to do a long cook with a small chuck roast. Put it on to cook before going to bed last night and it was ready at dinner time after an 18 hr. cook at 128 degrees. It turned out really well, and nearly as tender as a 4 hr. Tri Tip. The texture wasn't the least bit mushy and very flavorful. Since I don't have a vacuum sealer machine, I used a heavy duty zip bag, and it worked just fine. Wilma, the searing burner finished it. We had delicious French Dip sandwiches with plenty of leftovers.

Andy M. 09-27-2019 10:45 PM

Kayelle that looks delicious.

Cheryl J 09-27-2019 10:51 PM

Looks delish, Kay!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.