Soup weather! Wednesday 10-16

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pepperhead212

Executive Chef
It was miserable, and raining much of the day, and I really needed it! Today, I made a batch of mushroom barley soup, which I added some dried boletus to, to add more flavor. I also added some fresh bay, rosemary, and thyme, along with some lentils and two diced up potatoes, since I had no bread, and didn't want to make any, just for this. No meat, but I used some chicken broth in it. Had a small bowl of freshly cut leaf lettuce, some basil, parsley, and chives, with a simple vinaigrette.

Tonight's dinner was TJs mandarin orange chicken with pea pods, onion, scallions, yellow peppers.

Your soup sounds good, pepperhead. :yum:
I had a BLT salad this afternoon. Bacon, romaine, tomato, croutons, tossed with a little bit of ranch dressing. Sliced apples from the orchards in Tehachapi for a side.

SC came home from the grocery with a bag of fresh bean sprouts. He should have known better if he didn't want to cook, but he dazzled me once again when he made our wonderful dinner of his shrimp Egg Foo Yung and wonderful sauce. I made the jasmine rice and watched him cook as I sat at the breakfast bar and chatted with a glass of vino. Bliss...

I ended up making soup, but not because of the weather. It worked out better, too, because my planned dinner would have been in the oven when our power went out. Fortunately, all that was left to do when that happened was to simmer the soup for about 45 minutes. Got the old camping stove out, fired her up, and finished the soup. Just as we were ready to ladle sausage, escarole, and white bean soup into our bowls, power was restored. Now to get this posted in case we go dark again - the lights just flicker...
IMG_20191016_221409171.jpg

Feeling delicate with postdrome from yesterday's migraine. So, I just ate some minor prep food like toast, scrambled eggs, fruit, and I found some leftover Chinese vegis.

Rotisserie Chicken, Leg & Breast, Cranberry Sauce, Mashed Idaho w/ Creamed Corn Gravy, Chopped Collards with Onion.... Creamy Slaw ....

Chicken, Rotisserie.jpg

I used meatballs left over from Tuesday to make this Turkish-inspired dish. I sautéed the vegetables in olive oil, then added a tomato sauce seasoned with sumac and za'atar and simmered the meatballs till they were heated through. Served over rice with some of the caramelized onion-sweet potato bread I made last week.
1322216388.jpg

M best chocken soup

Ingredients:
1 lb chicken wings
1 lb bone'in chicken thighs
1/2 lb. cleaned chicken feet
1 onion, diced
2 ribs celery, sliced
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
3 tbs. Pearl barley
1 tsp rubbed sage
1/tsp. powdered thyme
1 tsp. dried basil
1/4 tsp. Dried ginger
1 tbs. ground black pepper
1 cup flour
2 tsp
naking powder
1 tbs sugar
3 tbs. Soft butter
1/3 cup milk
6 cups water

Remove the skin from the chicken thighs. Saute them in a frying pan intil lightly crisp. Remove the skis and keep the rendered chocken fat.

Bone the chicken thighs.

Put water into a large soup pot. Add chicken wings, chicken feet, thigh-bones, chicken skins, and half of the celery. Bring to a low boil, cover, and cook over low flame for thirty minutes.

While the brotg is simering, mix together the flour, salt, sugar, and bakig powder in a large bowl. Set aside.

Cut the chicken meat into half-inch cubes.

After the thirty minutes, strin the broth and put back into the pot. Bring to a low boil and add the cbarley, celery and other veggies. Simmer for 20 minutes. Saute the diced chicken mrat in the rendered chicken fat unti lightly browned on all sides. Seaso with salt to tastr and set aside. Add remainig herbs and spicrs to the soup. Add the milk and one large egg to the flour mixture and stir inti a biscuit dough. Add portions of dough to the pot and turn heat to medum high. Boil for twenty minutes. Remove cooked dumpligs to a servig bow. Ladle soup into bowla, and add sauteed chicken meat to rach soup bowl. Serve piping hot.

Try this soup at least one time. It is truly exceptional. This soup is more work, but will give yoi a luxurious, silky broth do to the collagen from tbe wings and chicken feet, and wonderful flavor from the skins, bones, wings, herbs, and veggirs. The barley fotifies the soup and adds textue. The meat is properly cooked and deliscious, without all the flavor boiled out. Finally, there are no bonrs to find in your soup.

You could skip the dumplings and use homemade or store-bought egg noodlrs if you prefer.

Seeeeya, Chief Longwind of the North

Chief, despite the title of "Soup Weather," this is the Wednesday dinner thread. You might want to copy and paste this recipe into its own post.

Amazing appetiser broth, mushroom Essence Soup

I make this delicous broth as a true appetizer
It gives you a wonderful flavor that gets your family, or guests hungry amd anxious for the main couse. This concept can be used with various flavors, seafoods, meats, poultry, veggies, even fruits.

This essence soup is mushroom. It is an absolute umami bomb that leav es you wanting more. Here's how you make it.

Ingredients:
8 oz. sliced, fresh potabella mushrooms

1 cup sliced porchini mushrooms

Kikoman Soy Sauce

1/4 tsp. powdered ginger

1/8 tsp. Black pepper.

2 tbs. Butter

Heat butter in a 2-quarìt sauce pan over medium heat. Add mushrooms and saute until soft. Add 4 cups water to the pan, along with the soy sauce and spices. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.

Remove the mushrooms and save for use in othe dishes, or meals. Taste the broth and correct the seasonig with soy sauce, and ginger to get the flavor you desire. Serve with good bread rolls and butter.

This soup is equally good with any roast meat, from turkey to duck, to roast beef, or roast pork.

I have made an essence soup from the shromp shells, again seaoned with soy sauce and ginger.

Use your imagination to create tomato essence soup, or clamb essence. This type of soup is a muzt know, and will elevate any meal. I guess beef essence would be the same as a beef consume'.
Enjoy.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom