Titanium kitchen scissors?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kenny1999

Senior Cook
I saw a kitchen scissor that's said to be made of Titanium and it's said stronger and more durable, and it's come-apart so thorough cleaning is easier.

It's black in color. Is it really more durable than other silver color stainless steel scissor?? Is it safe for food??

Is Titanium naturally black in color? Or was the black color is a surface coating?

I'd guess it's about the same as other scissors of the same quality. Not sure what the titanium coating does. Probably just a gimmick. Food safety is not a concern.

I love me some kitchen shears; I have a bunch of different kinds! Never heard of titanium though!!!

titanium is extremely hard and strong. unless these shears are 40-50x the cost of normal kitchen shears, they are not solid titanium but "coated"
titanium is a naturally silvery color, it can be anodized for color.
the titanium coating will rub off with use.

My Zwilling J.A. Henckels stainless steel shears are going on 40 years old and still cut virtually anything cleanly. Don't remember what I paid for them, but clearly they were worth it.

IMO it sounds like a gimmick.

I have had good results with kitchen shears from the $tore and a pair of handheld pruning shears that I purchased years ago specifically for kitchen duty.

When I worked both on U.S. Navy aircraft, anh while working for Lockheed Missiles and Space, I worked with titanium. The metal is very lightwight, hard, and has great tensile and sheer strength. It's pretty much impervious to corrosion. It is also expensive. It doesn'r react with many acids or base substances and so is.both hypoallergenic, and food safe. I don't believe that it will hold a keen edge, and would not be able to sharpen with ordinary household sharpening tools. Titanium is used as a coating on some cuuting tiiols to prevent corrosion. The base metal of the kitchen shears, and the cutting edge, will be stainless steel
Oh, and just for those that are not aware, stainlrss is nt corrosion proof. It is corrosion resistant. If you abuse it you can ruin it. Hope that answers you qustion..

I also anodised aluminum for Lockheed, and know somethind abot anodiised pots and what you can expect from them as well.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I saw a kitchen scissor that's said to be made of Titanium and it's said stronger and more durable, and it's come-apart so thorough cleaning is easier.

It's black in color. Is it really more durable than other silver color stainless steel scissor?? Is it safe for food??

Is Titanium naturally black in color? Or was the black color is a surface coating?

Titanium scissors? How much were they? A $100, more? The only reason to have real Titanium scissors is if you are working with extremely corrosive agents, or in a special, mayb medical lab.

They would not do a better job than any regular material scissors.

I have some Fiskers titanium scissors that I got pretty cheap in a 3-Pack at COSTCO. They are not kitchen shears, but I do use one pair in the kitchen.

Titanium is very strong and very light. It is safe for food. The natural color is similar to bronze.

If the price is reasonable, I'd buy a pair.

CD

titanium is extremely hard and strong. unless these shears are 40-50x the cost of normal kitchen shears, they are not solid titanium but "coated"
titanium is a naturally silvery color, it can be anodized for color.
the titanium coating will rub off with use.

The coating will rub off with use?
Then is it a food safety concern?
Is it safer to use stainless steel then?

I doubt the scissors are made from titanium. While strong, titanium is relatively soft so it isn't a suitable for blades as steel. I assume the scissors are steel and have a black titanium nitride coating. Nothing wrong with that.

Back
Top Bottom