Detergent for non-stick pans needed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bso

Assistant Cook
I have been using cast iron pans for a few years. I was told there is no need to use detergent to wash them. I follow that advice and find it to be quite OK.

Now I am thinking to myself... why use detergent for other pans and non-stick pans? If cast iron pans don't need them, neither should everything else.

Am I right?

No. Working with cast iron, the residual fat bakes into the pan to enhance the seasoning. With the pans, the fat just lays there so you have to wash it out to get back to the original surface. With a surface like stainless steel, any food residue left in the pan will promote sticking in future cooks.

But be aware (as I'm sure you already know) Cooking beef, such as a seasoned hamburger in a cast iron pan and then cooking an egg... definite burger taste to the egg.

I used to try to keep dedicated pans for certain foods but couldn't keep it up.
I wash my cast iron pans with soap and water but quickly - I don't soak them nor do I have to re-season them.

the few times I've had to scour them they seem to re-season themselves just fine.

I "scrub" my CI (and LeCreuset black interior) pans with either Kosher salt or LOW sand (I just use a paper towel). LOW sand is a bit harder to come by...that's how my Grandma cleaned the CI pans at The Lake and why the last visit of the season, I bring a few 5-qt ice-cream pails filled with sand to tide me over during the winter. I suppose one could use sandbox sand...I clean my pans almost immediately and then I rub with oil and pop in warm oven or on the burner for a few minutes. I figured out I have had my LeCreuset for over 32 years and a lot of the CI I have was my Grandma's...

I "scrub" my CI (and LeCreuset black interior) pans with either Kosher salt or LOW sand (I just use a paper towel). LOW sand is a bit harder to come by...that's how my Grandma cleaned the CI pans at The Lake and why the last visit of the season, I bring a few 5-qt ice-cream pails filled with sand to tide me over during the winter. I suppose one could use sandbox sand...I clean my pans almost immediately and then I rub with oil and pop in warm oven or on the burner for a few minutes. I figured out I have had my LeCreuset for over 32 years and a lot of the CI I have was my Grandma's...

What is LOW sand? Google seems to miss the point.

But for what its worth, hot tap water and a rag works 99% of the time for me. One-percent of the time boiling water is needed.

yo tambien y nunca he tenido problemas con eso...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom