Turkey Lasagna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
We've all made lasagna with tomato sauce, Bechemele Sauce, with ground beeef, or a variety of sausages. However, I have an idea. Yes, I know, that could be dangerous :ohmy:. Let me know what you think.

If you are like So I was wondering what else I could do oith the turkey. , you purchase an extra turkey or two at this time of year because they are sold at very low cost. I now have four frozen turkeys in my chest-freezer. I think I would get tired of oven-roasted turkey. I could make turkey tetrazin; been there, done that, and for me, that dish is not bad, but not great either. I could make a turkey galantine, oh wait, DW doesn't like aspic. Turkey rouladen is a possibility, if made with a rice filling, with no sage or pepper. But wait; I'm the guy who loves to create new things, experiment. Raw Here's what I came up with in my little brain: Turkey Lasagna; and here's my idea of how to make it.

Ingredients:
Turkey breast
2 cups Turkey Stock
Turkey neck and giblets
1/2 lb. of chopped pepperoni, cudaghi, andoulle, or your favorite sausage, minus the skin.
1 yellow onion, rustic chop
2 cups dried bread cubes
2 stalkes celery, sliced
2 tbs. rubbed sage
1 tbs. ground thyme
Salt
Pepper

Add the neck and giblets to the turkey stock in a 2 quart saucepan. Add 1 tbs. rubbed sage to the stock. Simmer over medium heat for 30 minutes.

While the pot is simmering, Slice the turkey breasts across the grain, into thin slices, about aas thick as a homemade lasagna noodle. rub the bottom and slices of a large, deep casserole dish wiht softened bacon fat.

Brown the sausage. Place the bread cubes, onion, sausage, and celery into a large mixing bowl. When the neck and giblets have simmered for thirty minutes, remove them from the broth and let cool. Slice the giblets and add into the mixing bowl. Remove as much meat from the neck and chop. Add this to the mixing bowl. Season all with the remaining sage and thyme. season with salt an pepper to taste.
Mix well to distribute the seasonings. Add on cup broth to the bowl and mix in to moisten the dressing. Add more broth if needed to get a soft, but not gooey texture. Add on extra-large egg to the mixing bowl and fold into the dressing.

Bring the Turkey stock to a boil and thicken with a roux to make a rich gravy.

Preheat the oven to 350' F.

Lay slices of turkey to cover the bottom of the casserole pan. Top the turkey with your dressing. Soon on enough to just cover the dressing. Place another layer of turkey, then more dressing, followed by more gravy. Place a third layer of turkey meat on top, followed by the remaining dressing, all topped with gravy.

Cover the pan with heavy aluminum foil and place into the oven. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for 29 minutes. Slice and serve with ice-cold egg nog, or your favorite beverage.

Well there you have it, my latest idea for something diffenrent to do with some of that cheap turkey. Please let me know what you think, and any changes you would make. I'm looking forward to your responses.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom