Turkey leftover soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Certifiable Executive Chef
Staff member
I made some soup over the weekend and thought I'd share how it went...

We had a bunch of folks for T-day dinner and a lot of sides and 2 turkeys. We also had leftovers.

I boiled one of the bird carcasses (as usual) for soup stock and then made turkey soup WITH LEFTOVERs added in.

The soup included:

• chopped up the crudity plate leftovers (celery, carrots, radishes, olives) and sauteed them with onion and garlic and added the stock.
  • a hefty portion of that dreaded green bean casserole which was a great addition as it's base is mushroom soup,
  • left over roasted corn salad
  • more turkey
  • some gravy
  • I added canned white beans and a big hand of chopped parsley

I sliced and cubed some slabs of herb stuffing and then toasted in the oven, and floated this in the soup as large croutons.

This soup was served with a side salad made of shredded cabbage topped with diced fresh apple and a dollop of cranberry sauce.

easy, good and thrifty.

Did you make soup?

Last edited:
I haven't made it yet . I'll be making my soup tomorrow. I have the carcass, wing tips and boes, a drumstick, and thigh bones. I'll crack the bones to realease nutrients and collagen, an add celery, which is mildly acidic, to pull calcium from the carcass and bones. After the stock is made, I will strain it and get all meat from the carcass and dromstick. This will be pput back into the stock, along with salt, sage, carrots, onions, and green beans. I might throw some whole kernal sweet corn in as well.

I like your idea of making savory croutons from the leftover dressing. I thank you for that idea.

When I put my soup into my bowl, I'll add black pepper, and rutabagga. I'll add rice to the whole pot as it's cooking.

Turkey soup made from leftovers is a tradition in my home. I love it, and some of it will be frozen for future meals. I'm always torn as to whether I should add rice, or kluski noodles. This year, I'll add rice.

Seeeeya, Chief Longwind of the North

I made my creamy turkey soup and it was very good.

Used homemade turkey stock, leftover homemade turkey gravy, turkey, white & wild rice, bacon, scallions, chopped stuffed green olives, roux made with the bacon fat and heavy cream at the end.

Janet, I really like your idea for your dressing croutons with your soup, and the salad is creative too. Good thread as I love hearing different ideas.

Since our T day debacle (details at the sick room), we both are in need of some comfort turkey soup. No turkey carcass here, but Souschef found a big turkey thigh in the freezer from last year, without freezer burn, so I'll be using that for the soup. I have lots of veggies to join the party, along with Trader Joe's Brown Rice Medley (brown rice, black barley and daikon radish seeds). It's very good stuff. It will be cooked at least half way before adding it, as I don't want it drinking up all the turkey/veggie broth. I'll be finishing off the broth with a good amount of fresh Meyer lemon juice, like I always do for poultry soup because I think it adds a wonderful brightness. It will be nice to be back in the kitchen with my Honey.:wub:

I still have 3 quarts of turkey stock from the necks I roasted a couple weeks ago, so I froze the Thanksgiving carcass for later. I might make turkey noodle soup this weekend, so I'm looking for ideas as well.

Chief, do you know for sure that a mild acid "pulls" calcium from the bones? I never heard that till the last five years or so when millennials discovered stock and started calling it "bone broth" [emoji38] The recipe for bone broth includes apple cider vinegar (preferably organic :rolleyes: [emoji38]) to supposedly dissolve the calcium. I have never found evidence that it works and I've been looking for years.

The only article I've found that describes an actual study says it doesn't work - a lab found no more calcium in a stock with vinegar than in one without.

You may be correct about the calcium. I don't know if the PH affects the absorption of calcium from the bones. But celery makes it taste good anyway, so I'll continue to add it to my stock. When simmered long enough, plain water will leach much of the calcium from the bones. I've had bones turn so soft after simmering for a long time, or pressure cooking long enough, you could, if you chose, eat the soft bones. Oh, and I had no idea what bone broth was. I purchased a well known brand thinking it sounded good. The stuff was terrible tasting. Now that I understand that bone broth is simply stock that has been simmered for a long time to extract nutrients from the bones and bone marrow, I'll continue to make my own stock. It tastes great, and even gels when chilled. It's easy to pressure can, and easier to make in large batches. And the simple stock can be the base for so many good things.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

placed all of my turkey carcass, a drumstick, and wings into my largest pan, covered with water and put a mediium fire unter it on the stove. Was working on a shopping list with DW. I asked her to check the water level in the pot, as I am temporarily in a wheelchair. She took 10 minutes to check it. The water was all gone, and the bottom of the pan scorched with evaporated turkey bits, ruining the whole pot. I don't understand whay she can't understand that timing is critical in such things. Oh well, didn't really need turkey soup, I guess. It's just a shame to waste all of that potential goodness. i love her, but she's no cook.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I think I can honestly say this is the first time I’ve seen olives listed as a soup ingredient. I hope it was yummy it just caught me by surprise

I find this happens to me more when I use my thin black and white speckled thin metal roast pans but happens less to never when I use my thick heavier casserole dishes the good ones don’t burn anything really.

I rarely use and metal ware pots and pans anymore if I don’t have to

I add extra broth or water to cook thy e bird so I get ample stock and it just falls off the bone. I scavenge a bit just finger picking enough for soup but nothing left after that

Is the favourite
A) turkey noodle
B) turkey rice
C) turkey vegetable

Don’t be scared make a stand behind your favourite

Turkey with pearl barley and orzo, or turkey with fluffey dumplings. The dumplings have to be made with butter. Balcj pepper, abd sage. And thyme. But the barler and orzo is my favoyite.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I put chopped stuffed green olives in my creamy turkey soup.

I haven't made it yet . I'll be making my soup tomorrow. I have the carcass, wing tips and boes, a drumstick, and thigh bones. I'll crack the bones to realease nutrients and collagen, an add celery, which is mildly acidic, to pull calcium from the carcass and bones. After the stock is made, I will strain it and get all meat from the carcass and dromstick. This will be pput back into the stock, along with salt, sage, carrots, onions, and green beans. I might throw some whole kernal sweet corn in as well.

I like your idea of making savory croutons from the leftover dressing. I thank you for that idea.

When I put my soup into my bowl, I'll add black pepper, and rutabagga. I'll add rice to the whole pot as it's cooking.

Turkey soup made from leftovers is a tradition in my home. I love it, and some of it will be frozen for future meals. I'm always torn as to whether I should add rice, or kluski noodles. This year, I'll add rice.

Seeeeya, Chief Longwind of the North

Do you usually make your soups with salt and not pepper? I’m often the opposite a few years ago I kinda got sick of salt I get plenty when I eat out or canned tomatoes etc. But that’s when I started going heavier on the herbs for flavour and never looked back. Absolutely nothing wrong with yours but do you ever bolster your soups with more than salt? ( I saw the sage it’s a great start for how I flavour).

Or is this a base stock that you make different soups from, or a base and you flavour in your soup not your stock?

Thanks this is interesting

Do you usually make your soups with salt and not pepper? I’m often the opposite a few years ago I kinda got sick of salt I get plenty when I eat out or canned tomatoes etc. But that’s when I started going heavier on the herbs for flavour and never looked back. Absolutely nothing wrong with yours but do you ever bolster your soups with more than salt? ( I saw the sage it’s a great start for how I flavour).

Or is this a base stock that you make different soups from, or a base and you flavour in your soup not your stock?

Thanks this is interesting

I doo add salt, ut not a lot, in fact, I tend to undersalt as I have come to enjoy the natural flavor of meats and veggies. I have to be careful when i season foods, as DW doesn[tlllike so many of my herbs and sppices. I often make a rather bland doups, and season mine in my bowl, adding the seasonins to a piping hot bowl full of soup and letting it sit for about ten minutes before eating. These are seasonings that I have used, and enjoy with turkey soup:
Sate, thyme, basil, turmerick, rosemary, black pepper, red pepper flakes, dried, and ground hot peppers, celerly seed (not celelery salt), smoked paprika. Once in a while, change it up and add fresh cilanto, cumin, and. coriander. Veggies include onion, carrot, celery, and sweet peas. Grains may include biscuit style dumplings, rice, orzo, pearl barley. I like a good, crusty, yeasty bread with real butter to accompany my turkey soup.

What seasonings do you use?

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Other seasonings I add are

I used ACV to make chicken stock once. But no one liked the flavor. I just now use rotisserie chicken bones, roasted chicken bones, wings and wing tips. I get a nice thick jelled stock.

I used ACV to make chicken stock once. But no one liked the flavor. I just now use rotisserie chicken bones, roasted chicken bones, wings and wing tips. I get a nice thick jelled stock.
I do the same. The stock I made from turkey necks (and veg, herbs, peppercorns) a couple weeks before Thanksgiving was so thick with gelatin I could stand a spoon up in it :yum:

This is a recipe thread and not suitable for off topic discussion. Those of you who want to argue take it to PM or Off Topic.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom