In Search of a Soft Cut Out Cookie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

letscook

Head Chef
I am in search of a sugar cookie or butter cookie that can be cut outs and stays soft after cooking . Also that Icing holds up on them. I have some Seniors that can't handle crisp / hard cookies . They mention how much they miss Christmas Cookies. I would love to make a big batch for them.

Thanks and Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays and a Blessed New Year

I hope this helps. I sometimes use half butter and half shortening for a semi-soft cookie.

Shortening is 100% fat, containing no water. That means no steam is created during baking which effectively reduces gluten production, so shortening cookies tend to be softer and more tender. Also, shortening has a higher melting point than butter, resulting in taller cookies.Mar 2, 2016
Butter vs Shortening: Which is Better? - Handle the Heat

https://www.handletheheat.com › butter-vs-shortening-which-is-better

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Can butter be used in place of shortening?

There is no magic shortening to butter conversion, generally, you can use butter or margarine in place of shortening as a one-to-one swap. Making this substitution may slightly alter the texture of your baked goods. When substituting butter for shortening, use the same amount called for in your recipe.

How to Substitute Butter for Shortening When Baking | Better ...

https://www.bhg.com › recipes › how-to › bake › how-to-substitute-butter-f...

Search for: Can butter be used in place of shortening?

This is a recipe that will fit your needs: https://www.bakedbyrachel.com/soft-and-chewy-lemon-sugar-cookies/
This recipe makes a very soft-and-chewy-lemon-sugar-cookie I have made my own modifications to the recipe that results in a lighter, more cake-like texture that melt in your mouth, but is firm enough to carry a good glaze, or frosting on top. This recipe is tried and true. Another party asked me to create a recipe for a lemon cookie that was very soft and tender. She reported back to me that the recipe was the best she'd had. Made my head swell a bit:ohmy:

This is the same recipe, but with my modifications:
Ingredients:
1/2 cup soft, unsalted butter'
1 /14 cups granulated sugar
zest of lemon
1 large egg
2 tbs. lemon juice
/13 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tbs. water

In a large mixing bowl, combine the butter and sugar (cram them). Add the egg and mix in thoroughly. Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, Vanilla extract, salt, and water. Adc the two cups of flour..

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Gently fold all ingredients together. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Drop 1 heaping tbs. of cookie dough onto the paper. Fill the pan with cookie dough, placing the cookies an inch apart. Place into the oven and bake for 25 minutes. REmove from the oven and lift the parchment paper with cookies onto a cooling rack.

The baking powder acts as a leavening agent, and together with the glute, developed from adding the water to the dough, makes the cookies rise into a delicate, soft cookies.

You can make the same changes to the famous Nestle Toll House recipe. Change the baking soda to baking powder, and add just a couple of tbs. water to the recipe. If you overcook these cookies, they will have the texture of a good shortbread. So so be careful with timing.

If you omit the lemon, and replace the flavors with vanilla, butrer, and brown sugar (Toll House Cppkies?) you get butterscotch. Add butterscotch chops, chopped pecans, and cripsy bacon bits for a cookie that gets rave reviews. But don't take my word for it. Try the recipe and see how it turns out. The recipes can easily be doubled, or even tripled to make enough cookies for a crowd. Hope this helps.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Thank you, Chief Longwind, you will make some seniors very happy. I will make them tomorrow and then take them to the group along with decorations and frosting/icing and set it up so they can have the pleasure of frosting/icing and decorating them. It will make them feel special.

Thank you, Chief Longwind, you will make some seniors very happy. I will make them tomorrow and then take them to the group along with decorations and frosting/icing and set it up so they can have the pleasure of frosting/icing and decorating them. It will make them feel special.

zi lobr h3lping, and sharing. I hope your cookies are a big hit.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom