Carrots, glazed, question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
Glazed carrots, how to question.

I bought a bac of these tiny carrots, they are great for dipping, but I would like to cook them and Glaze.

The recipies I have read are from Boil them first, then brown, and glaze..

to simply add

butter
water
sugar
vinegar
spices

then cook till tender and water evaps, and oil spices, and sugar and vinegar sort of Glazes them when they are done..

Have any of Y'all tried and true this sort of recipe"?

also what spices. I see everything from Dill to Maple syrupe. I don't think I would like them Too sweet..

More like Agra Dulche sweet and sour in Italian.

Thanxs, Eric, Austin Tx.

I made glazed carrots similar to this for Christmas dinner. The technique of simmering them in water with oil or butter works great. I used honey and Penzeys Pie Spice for the glaze - no vinegar, although I might try that next time. White balsamic would be good. The same technique works for Brussels sprouts, too.

I like to stem my carrots until they are almost soft through. I the put then into my CI pan over medium heat with butter, honey, and ginger. I go light on the ginger as I want the carrot flavor to shine through.

Griiling carrots over charcoal works great as well. When I grill them i brush with either honey and butter, or brown sugar and butter, agai lettin the grilled flavor, and the carrot flavor to dominate.

Don't cook the carrot so long as to make them mushy. IMHO, they are perfect with a hint of crunch.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I made glazed carrots similar to this for Christmas dinner. The technique of simmering them in water with oil or butter works great. I used honey and Penzeys Pie Spice for the glaze - no vinegar, although I might try that next time. White balsamic would be good. The same technique works for Brussels sprouts, too.
A honey-ginger white balsamic would probably work well.

I think the acid is nice, and I add fresh lemon juice instead of vinegar, replace the sugar with honey and add a little dried dill.
Lemon juice sounds good, too. With DH's father here, it's worth it for me to make these - DH doesn't like carrots, but he likes Brussels sprouts, so for Christmas, I made both this way, with different finishing seasonings.

In addition to you sauce pan method which I use, I like to toss the carrots with a little (1-2 Tablespoons) olive oil in a zip lock bag.

Put on a foil lined baking sheet (easy clean up), sprinkle liberally with whatever herbs or spices you like and oven roast at 400- 425 for 20 minutes. Check for doneness to your liking. Pierce with a fork or paring knife. Cook a little more if you like, checking every 5 minutes or so.

Minced garlic for sure and you can drizzle a little honey here and there across the carrots.

Back in the day, we used to have Brussel Sprouts with a butter/ honey glaze ( a little salt to give that salty/ sweet taste) and sprinkled with toasted Pine nuts.

Never did it with carrots, but Id have to assume it would be equally as good.

I put the prepared carrots in a single layer in a small sauté pan with a small amount of water, butter, sugar and salt and steam them until the water is cooked off. Then I keep them on the heat and shake the pan back and forth briskly to coat them with the butter and sugar that have become a glaze. Simple but yummy. A Jacques Pepin technique/recipe.

I boil them, pour off most of the water, add 3-4 T real maple syrup, cook down.
the trick is not to over cook them at the boiling -

DSC_3922s.jpg
because the maple syrup achieves higher temps during the reduction
(the bubbles get smaller as it thickens)
DSC_3927s.jpg
simple!
DSC_3930s.jpg

I developed this recipe while working as a culinary consultant for Amoretti Foods:

Maple Orange Glazed Carrots

carrots_glazed_1350x758.jpg

Ingredients:
  • 2 Tbs unsalted butter
  • 1 pound crinkle cut or baby carrots
  • ½ tsp salt
  • ¼ cup REAL Maple Syrup
  • juice of 1 medium orange
  • ½ tsp orange zest
  • ½ tsp ground cinnamon
  • fresh chopped parsley for garnish, optional
Instructions:

In a large sauté pan, heat butter over medium heat until melted. Add carrots and salt and toss to coat. Sauté for 3 to 4 minutes, add Maple Syrup, and cook for 1 minute more.

Add orange juice, cover the pan, and cook for 3 minutes. Uncover the pan and increase the heat to medium high. Stirring the carrots occasionally, cook until most of the liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat and stir in orange zest and cinnamon.

Transfer carrots to a serving dish, garnish with parsley if desired, and serve.

Last edited:
Glazed carrots, how to question.

I bought a bac of these tiny carrots, they are great for dipping, but I would like to cook them and Glaze.

The recipies I have read are from Boil them first, then brown, and glaze..

to simply add

butter
water
sugar
vinegar
spices

then cook till tender and water evaps, and oil spices, and sugar and vinegar sort of Glazes them when they are done..

Have any of Y'all tried and true this sort of recipe"?

also what spices. I see everything from Dill to Maple syrupe. I don't think I would like them Too sweet..

More like Agra Dulche sweet and sour in Italian.

Thanxs, Eric, Austin Tx.

After seeing this, I remembered a recipe of grated carrots and rice ... It looks delicious and tasty.

Back
Top Bottom