Delicate Rainbow Trout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I cooked up a 15 inch rainbow trout fillet for supper tonight. Of course I had to tweak the coating. I had a little heavy whipping cream in the fridge. I used the whipping cream instead of milk to make my egg wash.. I made a seasoned flour and dredged the fillet in it. Then, I put it into the large bowls with the egg wash and let it sit a bit. I turned it over and let it sit more. The flour was sticking nicely to the fish. I poured about an inch of oil in a pre-heated SS pan and let the oil come up to temp. I cut the fillet into two halves so they would fit in the pan and fried until medium brown on both sides. I'mm not saying this is better, just more delicate than any other coating I have used. It's not as heavy as a beer batter, and not as as corn meal. It is light enough in flavor to work well with mild fish, and still let the fish flavor come through. All in all, I'd say this was a successful experiment. I say, dige it a try with your favorite seasonings. It's worrth eating. The other nice thing about this was that unlike a plain flour coating, none of the coating came of in the oil, leaving it clean. Bonus; it didn't stick to the pan.

Here the egg wash recipe:
/4 cup heavy cream
large egg
Whisk together until smooth

Seasoned Flour:
/2 cup AP Four
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
1/4 tsp. granulated garlic powder
1/4 tsp. granulated onion powder
1/2 tsp. paprika
Whisk together to blend ingredients