Versatile Potato Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocklobster

Master Chef
Here's a soup that you can get a lot of mileage out of just by switching up and adding or increasing one ingredient..Today was Ham and Potato, but it could just have well been Potato Bacon, Leek and Potato, Potato Garlic, or just plain Potato.

1 Onion
1 Leek Sliced
Garlic
Celery
Carrot(optional)
Chopped Potatoes
Thyme or Dill, Black Pepper
White Flour (for slurry)
Stock, or water with powdered soup base
Whole milk or cream..

Place all chopped ingredients in the pot and cover with about 2 parts stock or water/ soup base.. bring to a boil, turn down and simmer for about 10-15 minutes, or when potatoes start to soften. Check your seasonings then slowly add your slurry of water while whisking until you reach the thickness you desire..continue to slowly simmer for a 2-3 minutes to cook the flour, then reduce the heat..after a couple of minutes start to stir in your milk or cream. adjust your seasonings. Turn down very low for another 5 or 10 and she's ready to go..

Attachments

• 84191838_172016337388708_1172023702368288768_n.jpg
    84191838_172016337388708_1172023702368288768_n.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 125
Looks good
I make a similar soup
I use Dill and Black pepper
In addition to the veggies you used I slice a few mushrooms and a few pieces of pepper
And some barley.
Its one of my daughters favorite soups.

There is little difference between my potato soup and clam chowder recipes. Decrease the stock/ water and add a bottle of clam juice instead, and of course, add two cans clams. Can't get/ don't trust "fresh" clams here.

Oh, and there is potato corn chowder.

I didn't get a pix, `cuz white soups aren't so photogenic …
But I made a Fully Loaded Potato Soup a coupla weeks ago, had too much and shared with Mr & Mrs New Neighbor...
I started out with your basics Rock, and added butter to sauté the veg matter, BACON, Chives, Sour Cream and Cheddar Cheese at the end stage... oh my gosh! I'm so making this again, soon … we're suppose to get down to 19° :ohmy:
Of course, DH wanted nothing to do with it … :shrug: … more for me! :LOL:

I didn't get a pix, `cuz white soups aren't so photogenic …
But I made a Fully Loaded Potato Soup a coupla weeks ago, had too much and shared with Mr & Mrs New Neighbor...
I started out with your basics Rock, and added butter to sauté the veg matter, BACON, Chives, Sour Cream and Cheddar Cheese at the end stage... oh my gosh! I'm so making this again, soon … we're suppose to get down to 19° :ohmy:
Of course, DH wanted nothing to do with it … :shrug: … more for me! :LOL:

I forgot to say, Mrs. New Neighbor came over the other day to return my Tupperware and asked me for the recipe :)

Here's a soup that you can get a lot of mileage out of just by switching up and adding or increasing one ingredient..Today was Ham and Potato, but it could just have well been Potato Bacon, Leek and Potato, Potato Garlic, or just plain Potato.

1 Onion
1 Leek Sliced
Garlic
Celery
Carrot(optional)
Chopped Potatoes
Thyme or Dill, Black Pepper
White Flour (for slurry)
Stock, or water with powdered soup base
Whole milk or cream..

Place all chopped ingredients in the pot and cover with about 2 parts stock or water/ soup base.. bring to a boil, turn down and simmer for about 10-15 minutes, or when potatoes start to soften. Check your seasonings then slowly add your slurry of water while whisking until you reach the thickness you desire..continue to slowly simmer for a 2-3 minutes to cook the flour, then reduce the heat..after a couple of minutes start to stir in your milk or cream. adjust your seasonings. Turn down very low for another 5 or 10 and she's ready to go..

Thank you, Roch. This sounds so good....I've made something similar but adding broccoli. Copied and saved. :yum:

A long time ago, a roommate worked at Crystal Sugar in West Fargo. She used to make a potato soup just like yours Rock, BUT she would put flat beer and velveeta cheese in it. It was so frigging good, or maybe it was because she brought it home and we ate it after we went barhopping...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom