It's Aloha Friday! What's For Grind? 1/31/2020

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
Aloha Friday!!!

IMG_5294.jpg
(file photo)

In Hawaii, this is a big day, the weekend is here so let's grind (eat)
something delicious!

I'm going to make Kara'age Chicken (Japanese Style Fried Chicken),
My Quick Cucumber Kim Chee
and I already went to visit our local Sushi Man to round out the plate
:yum:
Most ONO (tasty)!!

Defrosting a container of pasta sauce with sausages and meatballs to go with some spaghetti.

German carbonara with spaetzle and German - Austrian home cured and cold smoked speck, with cabbage.

Attachments

• 2020-01-31 17.43.40.jpg
    2020-01-31 17.43.40.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 109
Today I did grind up something - just over a pound of mizuna, that I harvested from the hydroponics last night. Here's an example, though there was a lot more this time!
Mizuna from hydroponics 1-6-2020 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

This was based on Indian dishes I've seen with ground up spinach as the base. Here, I jammed the mustard greens into a plastic bowl, added a little water, covered, and nuked it for 3 minutes. I then uncovered it, let it cool some, put in the vita-mix, added 5 c water, and blended a few minutes, while getting other things ready, and it was totally smooth.

In the IP, I sautéed some onion in some ghee for a few minutes, then added the garlic, and 2 types of sambar mix, and cooked 1 more minute. Then I added the purée, rinsed the VM out with some more water, and added that. Then I added 1 c toor dal, ½ c masoor dal, and ½ c red quinoa. Salted it, then I pressure cooked it for 8 min., and let it reduce 15 min. Then I made the tarka, stirred it in, and simmered 5 more minutes. Here's the leftovers:
A sambar made with puréed mizuna. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I was going to try out some pulled pork that was gift with my last order from Lufa Farms (I get a weekly basket from them and if you get $75 or more in your order you get the gift of the week.) But, I just didn't feel like even heating that up. I was afraid I was going to have to spend a bunch of time doctoring it. The last time I bought pulled pork, it was boring. So, we ordered from a local Greek place. Stirling got a pizza and I got a submarine. That really hit the spot.

I toaster oven baked Mahi Mahi slathered on both sides with a custom Tartar Sauce of mayo/capers/lemon/dill and dusted with Panko. The sides were baby potato chunks with fresh green beans cooked in duck fat to crisp tender with a little water. Glazed carrots of butter/brown sugar/lemon juice completed a pretty plate I think. All was adorned with our fresh fragrant garden curly parsley. It sure tasted good. :chef:

Attachments

• P1310049.jpg
    P1310049.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Reuben hot dish with a tossed salad. I was really happy with how the corned beef turned out in the pressure cooker yesterday, so I made the KN a Reuben hot dish with egg noodles, sauerkraut, corned beef, Swiss cheese, Russian dressing, cream of mushroom soup *that's why we call it a hot dish in Minnesota* sour cream topped with pumpernickel croutons. He ate two servings, so I guess he liked it.

CG - I can NEVER fix a small pot of soup or spaghetti sauce.

We had oven-cooked bacon, scrambled eggs and cheese, toast, sliced cucumbers and tomatoes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom