Looking for suggestions for shrimp/grits recipe on Food Network...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AshleyQuick

Assistant Cook
So I want to try this recipe but I can't find stone-ground grits (I only have Quaker instant). So if you were to make that recipe with instant, how would you modify the recipe, if at all, so that the instant doesn't ruin it?

If I was gonna make it with instant grits, I'd just follow Flay's recipe except maybe use stock instead of water, maybe homemade shrimp-peel stock.

But...

Think about trying stone-ground grits next time. I usually buy Bob's Red Mill. Amazon has it but my local Kroger is selling a 24 oz. bag for $2.69.

I personally wouldn't even bother if all I had was instant grits. Why waste perfectly good shrimp with an inferior product like instant grits. Although I wouldn't use quick grits normally, they would be a lttle better than instant.

In full disclosure, I'm a southern girl and wouldn't be caught dead woth instant or quick grits in my pantry. :)

medtran, I'm a northern girl and wouldn't have instant/quick grits in our house either. :LOL:

First of all, Ashley, welcome to DC. I'd also suggest saving those shrimp until you have real grits. All of the grocery stores near me in MA do carry Bob's Red Mill grits. Bob's is always a reliable source for many grain and bean products. AND, if you really have a hankering for shrimp right now, if you have pasta, garlic, parsley, and lemon, you could always make shrimp scampi style. :yum:

I made another trip to Kroger and found this! ��

51dOi%2BBELLL.jpg

take it from a Southerner, the BEST grits are Jim Dandy https://www.amazon.com/Jim-Dandy-En...d=1584362131&sprefix=jim+dandy,aps,143&sr=8-1. Here is how I do mine:

First the shrimp. To a zip lock bag add, the thawed shrimp about a dozen, shells on, 2 T olive oil, 1 T dijon mustard, 1 T Italian seasoning, 1 T finely chopped garlic, 1 T Sriracha hot sauce. Marinate for 4-8 hours. I cook mine on the grill in a stainless steel grill skillet. you could do them on a kabob too. Just DON"T over cook.

Grits - Very important. For every cup of uncooked grits you will use 1/2 stick of butter. Put butter and water together and bring to a boil, whisk grits into boiling water/butter until no lumps remain. reduce heat until tender. Add cheese, the cheese of choice is usually Velvetta, but any good melting cheese will work, add to your taste. Drain 1 can of Rotel tomatoes and add to grits. the ratio is dependent on taste. Peel shrimp and serve. I make a side sauce with equal amount of mayo and sweet chili sauce and add Sriracha to taste.

Enjoy

Since another recipe was posted, I use https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/220895/old-charleston-style-shrimp-and-grits/ when I make shrimp and grits, though I do eliminate the green bells since I don't really care for them. I also sub shrimp shell stock for the chicken stock.

I also follow the directions given on the grits I buy rather than generic ones. I use a combination of shrimp shell stock, cream and water, with butter, and plenty of salt and pepper. You'll probably be surprised at the amount of seasoning needed for grits. I also use sharp cheddar. Velveeta is another product that I wouldn't be caught dead with in my pantry.

I also keep grits in the freezer.

Last edited:
take it from a Southerner, the BEST grits are Jim Dandy https://www.amazon.com/Jim-Dandy-Enriched-Quick-Grits/dp/B077GLWBTN/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3UIMPFJXBDCPM&keywords=jim+dandy+grits&qid=1584362131&sprefix=jim+dandy%2Caps%2C143&sr=8-1. Here is how I do mine:

First the shrimp. To a zip lock bag add, the thawed shrimp about a dozen, shells on, 2 T olive oil, 1 T dijon mustard, 1 T Italian seasoning, 1 T finely chopped garlic, 1 T Sriracha hot sauce. Marinate for 4-8 hours. I cook mine on the grill in a stainless steel grill skillet. you could do them on a kabob too. Just DON"T over cook.

Grits - Very important. For every cup of uncooked grits you will use 1/2 stick of butter. Put butter and water together and bring to a boil, whisk grits into boiling water/butter until no lumps remain. reduce heat until tender. Add cheese, the cheese of choice is usually Velvetta, but any good melting cheese will work, add to your taste. Drain 1 can of Rotel tomatoes and add to grits. the ratio is dependent on taste. Peel shrimp and serve. I make a side sauce with equal amount of mayo and sweet chili sauce and add Sriracha to taste.

Enjoy
Quick grits?

I made it and it was really good but the grits were too thick...I'll thin them a bit more with milk next time. Thank you to all who have replied!

if you don't like thick, this isn't for you.... it's an odd duck grits dish but turned out quite tasty.
Shrimp and Grits Casserole | Southern Living

the grits turn out near like cornbread, but much moister/softer
View attachment 39996

Looks good to me too.
AshleyQuick said:
I may try that one, thank you! This may sound picky/weird, but I'd be fine if the grits were like cornbread...or thin...it's just the in between that I don't care for.

Another way of makin sumpin simular is to make grits normally, then refrigerate some or all of it (leftovers?). The cooled grits set and can then be sliced and fried. See polenta cakes or mush.

Looks good to me too.

Another way of makin sumpin simular is to make grits normally, then refrigerate some or all of it (leftovers?). The cooled grits set and can then be sliced and fried. See polenta cakes or mush.

Good suggestion! This reminds me of what we typically do with our mashed potatoes leftovers...we add egg and flour and fry them into potato pancakes. :yum:

Hi Ashley, and welcome! Cornmeal "mush" is easier than potato patties since you don't need to mix anything into the leftover grits. If I want leftover grits, I cook it up plain with no added cheese or anything. Then I spoon the grits into a small greased loaf pan, cover with plastic wrap, and chill. The next day slice it like bread, pan fry in a little butter, and top with maple syrup, honey, or whatever you like.

Back
Top Bottom