Help Another Screw Up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roll_Bones

Master Chef
I left a 5 pound packaged corn beef sitting out of the freezer. It was fully frozen and I set it aside last night while digging for something.
I did not see it until a few minutes ago.
So about 20 hours. It was still very cool. I returned it to the freezer immediately.

I think its fine as its prepared (corned) and vacuumed packed? What do you guys think?
It will be simmered for 4 hours when I cook it as well.

Thanks All
John

Thanks Princess. I think it will be okay. I wish I had not told my wife as she now will remember it was left out. Hard to forget as corned beef is a big deal around here.
We love it!

I'd be skeptical. Most likely, close to 100% it's okay, but I've had food poisoning a few times. I'd gladly pay $20.00 not to each time.

That's what makes me throw stuff out many times. Is it worth the cost of the food to not be sick?

I should think it would be just fine. I could go into a lot of details as to why I think so but suffice it to say... been there, done that, enjoyed ...

on more than one occasion

I think you will know 'when to throw'

Thanks Princess. I think it will be okay. I wish I had not told my wife as she now will remember it was left out. Hard to forget as corned beef is a big deal around here.
We love it!

Oh yeah! Shrek and I always bought 6 of them so we could have them through out the year. After he was gone, I continued the tradition, why should I not have my corned beef? My problem is not getting them all eaten in 2 or 3 months, love it!

I'd be skeptical. Most likely, close to 100% it's okay, but I've had food poisoning a few times. I'd gladly pay $20.00 not to each time.
That's what makes me throw stuff out many times. Is it worth the cost of the food to not be sick?

And the reason I asked about it here. I have also been food poisoned. Not fun. But for some reason that package of corned beef just told me to "put it back in". Now its time to forget...lol

I should think it would be just fine. I could go into a lot of details as to why I think so but suffice it to say... been there, done that, enjoyed ...
on more than one occasion
I think you will know 'when to throw'

Agree. I already made the call. Gut call. Posting here was for support and opinions. Thank You.

Oh yeah! Shrek and I always bought 6 of them so we could have them through out the year. After he was gone, I continued the tradition, why should I not have my corned beef? My problem is not getting them all eaten in 2 or 3 months, love it!

Sorry about your husband. I cringe/get sad at the thought of not having my wife. She is my whole life!
Yes, as you can see a 5 pound corned beef for two, is a bit much.
But it holds very well in the fridge as we keep the boiling liquid and keep it submerged. We had it for dinner twice, but when you build big sandwiches, it goes away pretty fast. I try to make them as big as Katz deli in NY. Never been there, but I love seeing those sandwiches! I hope to go one day before I go.
Thank You.

Just an observation, but now is a very bad time to risk food poisoning because you DO NOT want to have to make a trip to the ER …

Even though it was vacuum packed, bacteria that were already on the meat were activated and multiplied while it was sitting out. Freezing doesn't kill them.

Also freezing, thawing and refreezing meat usually degrades the texture of the meat quite a bit.

Just an observation, but now is a very bad time to risk food poisoning because you DO NOT want to have to make a trip to the ER …
Even though it was vacuum packed, bacteria that were already on the meat were activated and multiplied while it was sitting out. Freezing doesn't kill them.
Also freezing, thawing and refreezing meat usually degrades the texture of the meat quite a bit.

I'm tempted to go down there and toss it. Thanks. I spend more money than that at the pool hall.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom