Official© Dinner Thread for Wednesday the 15th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is my plan Stan! :chef:

smoked-polish-sausage-supper.jpg
(file photo)

I found a Smoked Polish Sausage in the deep freeze
and I have half of a head of Green Cabbage.
I'll fry these up with some Sweet White Onions and
loads of Garlic, served atop some Wide Egg Noodles
I have in the pantry.
:yum:

Trying a new recipe tonight with sausages and brown rice. It if turns out good, picture a will be posted. If it doesn't, I disavow any knowledge of this post and we'll be having Red Baron pizza. [emoji38][emoji38]

Last edited:
We have leftover beef-barley soup, so that's dinner. Working my way through leftovers in hopes of getting other things done around here. Doesn't seem to be working...

We had breakfast for supper. DH fried up the sausages leftover from the weekend and some eggs. There was also buttered, whole grain wheat and sunflower seed bread toast.

Ordered favorite steak house. NY strip, fries, mushrooms and salad with blue cheese dressing.

DW and I hadn't been out of the house for over 3 weeks now, and she decided it was high time for her to go on a much needed grocery shopping trip today to replenish provisions, hopefully to last us at least another 3 weeks.

It was a huge success, despite taking over 4 hours all told, due to her having to navigate the line-ups to get into each of 3 stores nearby to each other to get everything we felt we needed, and observe strict distancing measures while at each store.
Apologies - just a bit of a vent in this usual upbeat thread.

After her arrival home, we disinfected all the grocery packaging, etc. and found room in the fridge, freezer, and walk-in pantry to store all the items she picked up - the cost of which totalled up to more than any grocery foray either one of us had ever undertaken over the past 25-30 years !

Good news is - that left us with an easy decision as to which fresh cooked goodies we'd place on the dinner plates tonite - Gorgeous medium rare BBQ grilled bone-in rib steaks with roast potatoes and honey buttered brussel sprouts - with mini individual blueberry tartlets for dessert -couldn't complain about that, could we !

A most enjoyable evening despite all the bad COVID-19 internet news draining us of any optimistic thoughts about the near future adverse conditions expected to continue affecting our lifestyle in a negative way.
Such is life in this century.

...we disinfected all the grocery packaging, etc...
I did that, too, after my last two shopping trips. However, the longer this virus is around, the more the scientists are finding out about it and how it interacts with us. This is from a report on NPR from April 12th, Should I Disinfect My Groceries?

"Don't drive yourself crazy disinfecting your groceries

Many shoppers are now following elaborate routines to disinfect their groceries, thanks to a viral video put out by a Michigan family doctor. But all of the experts we spoke with say that disinfecting and hand-washing every last item in your grocery haul is really not necessary. You might find it comforting to know that none of these experts are doing this themselves...
...And after 72 hours, he notes that research has found the virus is trace or undetectable on most surfaces."

Oops, I guess it's time I brought the potatoes I bought a week ago in from the garage...

Chopped up some leftover ham, sauteed some yellow squash with onions and zucchini, put some eggs in there and the ham, threw some shredded cheese in with it all and scrambled it all together. Also had sliced tomatoes & cucumbers with it. Grapes for dessert.

I did that, too, after my last two shopping trips. However, the longer this virus is around, the more the scientists are finding out about it and how it interacts with us. This is from a report on NPR from April 12th, Should I Disinfect My Groceries?

"Don't drive yourself crazy disinfecting your groceries

Many shoppers are now following elaborate routines to disinfect their groceries, thanks to a viral video put out by a Michigan family doctor. But all of the experts we spoke with say that disinfecting and hand-washing every last item in your grocery haul is really not necessary. You might find it comforting to know that none of these experts are doing this themselves...
...And after 72 hours, he notes that research has found the virus is trace or undetectable on most surfaces."

Oops, I guess it's time I brought the potatoes I bought a week ago in from the garage...

Beg to differ, my dear friend- imho you may not need to disinfect your 'groceries' per se, but keep in mind I said 'we disinfected our grocery "packaging".- Packaging being the key word.

Our view is that some other shopper may have touched &/or coughed droplets onto a cereal box on the shelf for example, or the label on a tin of soup, or a bread wrapper, etc.
We make it a point to disinfect all 'packaging' before putting groceries away - the virus may survive on some surfaces for several days, cardboard being one, say some medical experts.

As for groceries themselves, whether it be strawberries, an apple, a banana, a head of lettuce, or broccoli - a cucumber - you name it - in the past we have always washed/rinsed these items upon return home from the grocery store, and will continue to do so.
That's our .02

Last edited:
Ordered favorite steak house. NY strip, fries, mushrooms and salad with blue cheese dressing.

Didn’t get to eat much of my steak dinner last night. Fever went up and just wanted to sleep. I will have it for lunch today.

Beg to differ, my dear friend- imho you may not need to disinfect your 'groceries' per se, but keep in mind I said 'we disinfected our grocery "packaging".- Packaging being the key word.

Our view is that some other shopper may have touched &/or coughed droplets onto a cereal box on the shelf for example, or the label on a tin of soup, or a bread wrapper, etc.
We make it a point to disinfect all 'packaging' before putting groceries away - the virus may survive on some surfaces for several days, cardboard being one, say some medical experts.

As for groceries themselves, whether it be strawberries, an apple, a banana, a head of lettuce, or broccoli - a cucumber - you name it - in the past we have always washed/rinsed these items upon return home from the grocery store, and will continue to do so.
That's our .02
I was thinking something along the same lines. Also, we do the three-day-decontamination with some things, when that is convenient. And I don't spray disinfectant on things. I spray my cloth with disinfectant and wipe stuff with that. We get everything by delivery and tip well. We have also increased our tips for deliveries from restos.

Back
Top Bottom