Egg-less Crab cakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhateverYouWant

Sous Chef
I know every crab cake recipe I've made/seen uses a beaten egg or two, but alas, I have no eggs. I get it... it is the main binder.

But what would you do if you wanted to make some and had no eggs?

If you have a can of chickpeas, you can use the liquid, aka aquafaba, from the can as an egg replacement.

I only have dried chickpeas. I thought about soaking/cooking/and nuking a small quantity in the Vitamix, but that seems like an awful lot of time/effort for a few crab cakes. (c;

Not crab cakes, but Danish fish balls (fiskefrikadeller) are usually made with a bit of flour to help bind. The mix does have to rest a bit to give the flour time to hydrate properly, 15 mins in the fridge. Longer is fine.

Not crab cakes, but Danish fish balls (fiskefrikadeller) are usually made with a bit of flour to help bind. The mix does have to rest a bit to give the flour time to hydrate properly, 15 mins in the fridge. Longer is fine.

Wouldn't the water/corn starch slurry (as mentioned above) do as well, or maybe even better?

You can try some corn starch with additional butter. I'm not sure if you like it or not but cook it sometimes.

You probably now have either cooked some rice and or the potatoes, LOL.

My suggestion would have been - wait until you have at least ONE of those ingredients! Don't ruin good crab unless absolutely the last thing in the cupboard and you're starving. ;)

So...? what did you do? ... and how did it turn out?

I came across a recipe making a sort of mousse with sea scallops and heavy cream in the blender that was used as a binder for the crab cake.

I came across a recipe making a sort of mousse with sea scallops and heavy cream in the blender that was used as a binder for the crab cake.
OMG, what an unbelievable waste of beautiful sea scallops! I can't believe someone thought to do that. Yeesh, I'd rather just have seared scallops and crab dip.

After much deliberation, and a few Manhattans... I opened a can of soup.

good move.
you being west coast and me being blue claw dyed in the Chesapeake....
we may have some different tastes in crab cakes - and crab per se. Dungeness crab and blue claw are different tastes.

I've never had any luck with the mayo based crab cake binders.
it always turns out to be crab hash . . .

(long story omitted . . . ) I've gone back to the basics.
blue claw crab, egg with a dab of creamy horse radish, Old Bay, bit of onion/roasted red pepper.
a smidge of panko if it's too wet.
that's it - period. no more thousand ingredient crab cakes.

DSC_5274s.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom