Friday, 4-24-20, what's for dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Vegetarian Mexican spaghetti with a sauce made of ground toasted almonds, roasted poblanos, garlic, oregano, spinach and crema. It's been a really long time since we had this and I told Craig we need to make it more often.

Attachments

• 2020-04-24 17.58.33.jpg
    2020-04-24 17.58.33.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 143
Made some homemade hamburger buns a few days ago and set some onions, tomatoes and cucumbers to marinate then, today, I smoked a nice piece of pork butt for barbecue sandwiches.

Trying to encourage Mother Nature to get with the program to make it more weather nice.

I saw a video by Chef John and decided to try it, Italian White Bean and Sausage Stew. That's a keeper. I substituted canned romano beans and rainbow chard. Oh my goodness. That was a tasty soup. Very filling with some chunks of wholegrain bread. What a great way to use rainbow chard.

Attachments

• IMG_20200424_195910.jpg
    IMG_20200424_195910.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_20200424_195858.jpg
    IMG_20200424_195858.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 153
I ate the last 4 slices of rye bread in my house today, making 2 sandwiches, so I made a preferment for the next batch of bread. And, while it's not something that I ate today, I made a batch of escabeche, using that 2 1/2 lbs of jalapeños I got yesterday. One of those things that I have to have on hand, and I used the end of it last week. Since it was a lousy day out there today, it was a good day to make something like this. Something I often put in old 24 oz pickle jars, which re-seal well.
Salted peppers and carrots for escabeche by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I double the amount of onion in escabeche! by pepperhead212, on Flickr

First cooking of the vegetables in the escabeche. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Escabeche, almost ready to go into the jars. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished escabeche, about 15 cups. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

We still have Easter ham, so I used some of it for a casserole of ham and scalloped potatoes. I scattered some shredded cheddar across the top of the last layer. Sides were sauteed zucchini and steamed peas. We also had skimpy salads, using the last of the lettuce, radishes, tomatoes, and tomatoes.

IMG_20200424_215854945.jpg

D & SIL came over for a "keep your distance" dinner..

I took the easy way out and picked up fried chicken dinners with mashed and gravy, mac & cheese and dinner rolls..

I opened a bottle of sparkling Moscato Rose and made a chocolate pie for dessert..

Was great to have them here but, missed being able to hug..

Ross

Back
Top Bottom