Using fermented dried fruit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Certifiable Executive Chef
Staff member
I am going to make some banana bread today (we have some past due bananas) We fall into the "we like raisins in ours" category but I have none. I do have some dried currents however and they should be an adequate substitute. Problem: they have been stored at room temp in a tightly sealed jar and smell as though they are beginning to ferment.

Q: is it safe to use these?

past due. cute term.

i'd soak the raisins in warm water and see how they are after that.

Safe or not, consider how they would taste in banana bread. Would they taste like they smell and is that OK?

Got craisins?

I figure they will be okay, if they taste good. If they are starting to turn into alcohol, I think that should be safe. If they are starting to turn into something else, who knows.

They smelled a bit like rum. I gambled and included them in the bread - I figure an hour at 350 should kill almost anything...

I've also taste-tested the end piece. This is of course, just in case there's an issue with the fermented fruit - I wouldn't want to inflict a second rate loaf on my family. I'm only thinking of them ;)

The bread is great - I haven't suffered any ill effects other than wanting to eat another slice...

Recipe:
350 oven | Prepared loaf pan - grease and flour pan, place parchment or wax paper in bottom

Cream together:
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter softened

Mix together:
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (3 to 4 medium)
1/3 cup water
1 T grated orange rind

Mix together:
1 2/3 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup fermented currents (or raisins)
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Add Banana mixture to the butter/sugar mixture. Stir in flour mixture until just combined. Bake in loaf pan until cooked (toothpick inserted center comes out clean) - about 70 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom