Stove Top Smoker - Carbon Monoxide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
I'm smoking some chicken thighs on the Stove Top. While relishing the aroma I started to think... smoke is smoke is carbon monoxide. Are these stove tops really safe?

I'm guessing it is all pretty relevant.

I'm smoking some chicken thighs on the Stove Top. While relishing the aroma I started to think... smoke is smoke is carbon monoxide. Are these stove tops really safe?

I'm guessing it is all pretty relevant.
Carbon monoxide is odorless and colorless. Smoke is a collection of airborne particulates and gases. As long as you have your vent fan on, it should not be a problem.

Carbon monoxide is odorless and colorless. Smoke is a collection of airborne particulates and gases. As long as you have your vent fan on, it should not be a problem.

...assuming your vent fan exhausts to the outdoors.

Thank You, I know Carbon monoxide is odorless but doesn't mean it can't be mixed with odors! LOL
Thanks, I did not actually think about the definition of smoke. So, I guess "Smokeless Stovetop Smoker" is a misnomer! :LOL:

and yes, I did have my vent going. My 'Smoke Alarm' goes off with boiling water (which means it is not a "smoke" alarm but a particle alarm?)

FYI, we have a law here, our gas stoves cannot legally be connected unless there is a stove vent already installed.

And supper was delicious - Hickory smoked Thighs with Chinese 5-Spice. Sooo good. Think I will try the same marinade with a chunk of Salmon!

Back
Top Bottom