What's for dinner this Sun.? 5/10/20

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Late lunch at the local Steak House with Family, so......

Deconstructed Italian Hoagie on a Garden Salad w/ Egg....

Hoagie Salad.jpg

Last edited:
Lazy day since Himself doesn't cook and I already played my broasted chicken card yesterday. We'll be having Capt. Parker's clam chowder with some take-and-bake baguette from Aldi. Perhaps an Aldi cinnamon roll for dessert. SO much icing, but I don't usually buy them. Covid circumstances have me breaking nutrition rules lately...

I made marinated teriyaki pork chops, a pan of scalloped potatoes and asparagus. For dessert (later) I made some kind of strawberry stuff. Torn pieces angel food cake, red jello with whip cream and macerated strawbs folded in. Forget what it's called, it's an oldie from the 70's.

Fired up the Weber kettle for couple of steaks for SO's Mothers Day dinner. Baked potato and steamed broccoli completed the meal. Lemon pudding cake for dessert later on.

Attachments

• FF34850B-D894-46B1-A7C0-2D9175123AAA_1_201_a.jpg
    FF34850B-D894-46B1-A7C0-2D9175123AAA_1_201_a.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 96
I made Linda's Pot o' Pig. I'm sure I posted the recipe, but I can't find it. Anyhoo, it's chunks of pork with bacon and a cut up hot dog in a cream sauce, seasoned with hot Hungarian paprika. It's really quite tasty. It's base on a dish we had in a Danish pub. I served it with boiled potatoes and a salad with homemade vinaigrette.

Attachments

• IMG_20200510_191457.jpg
    IMG_20200510_191457.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20200510_191759.jpg
    IMG_20200510_191759.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 106
DD and I did a lot of cooking today. I prepped and chopped in my mini Braun food processor all the fresh - herbs (basil, oregano and parsley), onion, garlic and grated Parmigiano Reggiano & Pecorino Romano cheeses that we needed.

DD made soup with chicken and mushroom broths, homemade chicken meatballs, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, baby spinach and cheese tortellini for dinner tonight. There is enough left for lunch tomorrow and I will try to get a picture.

I made four 1/2 pound beef braciole and 115 beef meatballs (I used a one tablespoon disher/scoop). I'll make tomato sauce tomorrow. Some will be dinner tomorrow and some will be packaged for the freezer.

Last edited:
I was exited about cooking a special dinner tonight and with the help of Souschef, it went off without a hitch.

On Another post I showed the great buy that he found at the market..a 6 lb. two bone prime rib for a song. I cut it in half tonight for a 3 lb. standing roast (with help) and followed the recipe from Chef John to cook it to perfection. His T&T recipe has yet to fail me, and although I know there are more "modern methods", they just don't interest me. As usual, according to his calculations, I roasted the room temp. 3 lb. roast at 500 degrees,(3X5) for 15 minutes, and turned the oven off "without Peeking" for 2 hrs. It turned out as perfect as it always has, rare and delicious for us, and lots of wonderful leftovers. Loaded spuds, steamed broccolini, our favorite horseradish, and Au Jus on the side.
:chef::chef::yum:

What a great meal we made..Here are the pictures....I only wish they were better...The second picture is the small roast cut in half to show how perfect it was ..for us.

Attachments

• P5100028.jpg
    P5100028.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 125
  • P5100030.jpg
    P5100030.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 72
  • P5100031.jpg
    P5100031.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 107
I was exited about cooking a special dinner tonight and with the help of Souschef, it went off without a hitch.

On Another post I showed the great buy that he found at the market..a 6 lb. two bone prime rib for a song. I cut it in half tonight for a 3 lb. standing roast (with help) and followed the recipe from Chef John to cook it to perfection. His T&T recipe has yet to fail me, and although I know there are more "modern methods", they just don't interest me. As usual, according to his calculations, I roasted the room temp. 3 lb. roast at 500 degrees,(3X5) for 15 minutes, and turned the oven off "without Peeking" for 2 hrs. It turned out as perfect as it always has, rare and delicious for us, and lots of wonderful leftovers. Loaded spuds, steamed broccolini, our favorite horseradish, and Au Jus on the side.

What a great meal we made..Here are the pictures....I only wish they were better...The second picture is the small roast cut in half to show how perfect it was ..for us.
Beautiful!
Can you post link to the recipe to cook the roast please. TIA

That is gorgeous, Kayelle! I didn't know that method would work on such a "small" roast. WAY before "Chef John", (heck, way befor kids, so 39+ years ago) I did a large standing rib by that method. It must have been the hottest day of the year, but we didn't care. After turning off the oven, Himself, my folks, and I spent the afternoon strolling in the shade of trees on Medina's square browsing Art in the Park. By the time we got home we were hungry and dinner was just about ready.

That's a beautiful roast Kayelle. All you folks whose partners are happy with rare to medium rare beef should be grateful. Do you know how hard it is to have to try to cook roasts and steaks to different levels of doneness and have them ready at the same time.

It was a lazy day and no one new what they wanted, So made a tortellini pasta salad, with cheese tortellini's , ham, salami, pepperoni, red & green peppers, red and yellow cherry tomatoes, pepperoncini. black olives, provolone cheese, garbanzo beans, also threw in some grated carrots and thin sliced celery. then found a 1/4 of a head of cauliflower that cut into small pcs, made some Italian dressing. So after an hour of marinating - Told them that there is a antipasto salad in fridge. Glad I grabbed some because in no time it was gone.

Beautiful!
Can you post link to the recipe to cook the roast please. TIA

Here's the link from Chef John...https://www.youtube.com
/watch?v=M48HSaTkt1U
I guess it was made before he chose to talk. :LOL: I dry brined the 1 bone roast overnight and patted it very dry before bringing it to room temp.
Because it was dry brined, I didn't add more salt to his compound butter, but I did add 2Tbs. of grated garlic. It needed to be kept from falling over in the roasting pan, so I ran two metal skewers thru it at the level of the top of the pan. That works great. This is a tried and true recipe I've used dozens of times.

That is gorgeous, Kayelle! I didn't know that method would work on such a "small" roast. WAY before "Chef John", (heck, way befor kids, so 39+ years ago) I did a large standing rib by that method. It must have been the hottest day of the year, but we didn't care. After turning off the oven, Himself, my folks, and I spent the afternoon strolling in the shade of trees on Medina's square browsing Art in the Park. By the time we got home we were hungry and dinner was just about ready.

Hey girl...now you can do a small one for the two of you!;)

That's a beautiful roast Kayelle. All you folks whose partners are happy with rare to medium rare beef should be grateful. Do you know how hard it is to have to try to cook roasts and steaks to different levels of doneness and have them ready at the same time.

I wouldn't do it Taxi...he could microwave what I gave him to his heart's conntent. ;):mrgreen:

Last edited:
Steak here last night, too. DH grilled the last of the ribeye roast he bought a few weeks ago (then cut into steaks and froze). I dry-brined it for about an hour and a half before grilling.

I had some leftover cooked couscous and one corn on the cob to use up. I grilled a slab each of red, orange and green bell pepper and two slices of red onion, cooled and peeled the peppers and minced all the vegetables. I heated the couscous in the microwave and drizzled it with white wine vinegar and olive oil. Then I minced fresh chives and parsley from the garden and mixed that in, along with dried thyme, Penzeys Justice seasoning and S&P. Mixed in the vegetables and put them in the fridge to chill. This is one of my favorite summer salads - very versatile.

DH also likes burst grape tomatoes on his steak, so I heated them in a cast iron skillet with olive oil and Penzeys Mitchell Street steak seasoning. I just put mine on top of the couscous.
20200510_204531.jpg

Last edited:
It was a lazy day and no one new what they wanted, So made a tortellini pasta salad, with cheese tortellini's , ham, salami, pepperoni, red & green peppers, red and yellow cherry tomatoes, pepperoncini. black olives, provolone cheese, garbanzo beans, also threw in some grated carrots and thin sliced celery. then found a 1/4 of a head of cauliflower that cut into small pcs, made some Italian dressing. So after an hour of marinating - Told them that there is a antipasto salad in fridge. Glad I grabbed some because in no time it was gone.
Letscook, that sounds yummy and really interesting.
This is a great way to use up leftovers from a party where a meat & cheese platter was served.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom