Favorite corn fritter recipes anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Years ago, my dad used to make these great corn fritters.
He doesn't have the recipe anymore, so I was wondering if one of you guys/gals could provide me with a favorite corn fritter recipe of yours.

On a side note, I just made apple fritters that I saw Jacques Pepin make on his Facebook page, and it couldn't be any simpler.
1/2 cup flower
1/2 cup beer
1- 2 apples chopped coarsley

Mix, fry one side until golden brown ( a few minutes)
Flip, do the other Side
Transfer to a wire rack
Serve with sugar, cinnamon sugar, or whatever else you may want on it.

Very simple, but a nice quick recipe
I used whatever apple I had ( I think it was a Gala), but I recommend using a tarter apple.

I was thinking of just suplimenting the corn for the apple, but curious to se what you folks come up with.

Thanks

When I was a kid we made deep-fried corn fritters using a hushpuppy recipe or a cake doughnut recipe and just adding corn kernels to it.

We dipped a spoon or disher in the hot fat and then scooped a portion of the batter with the oiled spoon and slid it into the hot fat. The best part of those fritters were the little crispy crunchy nibs and nubs that were slightly overcooked.

We also made corn oysters and they were just drained usually leftover corn kernels added to pancake batter and fried in a skillet like a traditional pancake.

We always served them with maple syrup.

I watched the little video from Jacques Pepin and I think that batter would be good for making quick banana fritters with the last overripe banana on the kitchen counter.

When I was a kid we made deep-fried corn fritters using a hushpuppy recipe or a cake doughnut recipe and just adding corn kernels to it.

We dipped a spoon or disher in the hot fat and then scooped a portion of the batter with the oiled spoon and slid it into the hot fat. The best part of those fritters were the little crispy crunchy nibs and nubs that were slightly overcooked.

We also made corn oysters and they were just drained usually leftover corn kernels added to pancake batter and fried in a skillet like a traditional pancake.

We always served them with maple syrup.

I watched the little video from Jacques Pepin and I think that batter would be good for making quick banana fritters with the last overripe banana on the kitchen counter.

Aunt Bea,
Would you happen to have a recipe for the kind you had as a kid?
My mom would make them like that.Lately I've been having a craving for them.Love them as a kid. Dipped mine in ketchup.Dad had to have his spicy dipped his in hot sauce.... I'm not judgin'..:ermm:

Munky.

Ill probably due the banana thing in a few days. Looks like we have a few bananas that are heading that way. thanks for the idea

Aunt Bea,
Would you happen to have a recipe for the kind you had as a kid?
My mom would make them like that.Lately I've been having a craving for them.Love them as a kid. Dipped mine in ketchup.Dad had to have his spicy dipped his in hot sauce.... I'm not judgin'..:ermm:

Munky.

I'm pretty sure that the hushpuppy version used the recipe on the cornmeal bag. :LOL::ohmy::ROFLMAO:

The corn oysters were just corn added to regular pancake batter and cooked as you would for a pancake.

This will get you close to the cake doughnut version.

Heat three cups of vegetable shortening to approx. 360F.

Dry Mix
1 cup AP flour
1 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1 t sugar

Wet Mix
1 beaten egg
1/2 cup whole milk
1 T melted vegetable shortening

Combine wet and dry mixtures add up to up to a 14.5 ounce can of well-drained corn. We always used less corn usually leftovers from the previous meal or scraped from leftover sweet corn on the cob.

Dip the spoon in hot grease and drop spoonfuls of batter into hot shortening fry until dark golden color. Drain on a rack and serve with maple syrup.

Last edited:
I LOVE fritters and make them often. Sometimes apples, sometimes corn. Fritter batter is essentially waffle batter with additions. If you are making fruit fritters add in some cinnamon or similar. here's my recipe for corn fritters:

1/3 cup cornmeal
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
ground black pepper or dash of cayenne pepper
Dash of nutmeg

1/3 C buttermilk
1 egg
2 T melted butter or other fat (bacon fat is nice)

1 1/2 C corn kernels

Optional stuff:
Chopped shallots
Sliced green onions or chives
Diced canned chilies
chopped pecans

oil for frying (pan fry)

1. Mix up the dry ingredients
  2. Add the wet ingredients and then the corn.
  3. Mix only til combined - do not over mix.
  4. Drop spoonfuls into hot fat frying until brown and then turning. Remove from pan to a rack prior to eating. Serve with applesauce or sourcream or even catsup.

I like mine with chives and pecans.

I LOVE fritters and make them often. Sometimes apples, sometimes corn. Fritter batter is essentially waffle batter with additions. If you are making fruit fritters add in some cinnamon or similar. here's my recipe for corn fritters:

1/3 cup cornmeal
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
ground black pepper or dash of cayenne pepper
Dash of nutmeg

1/3 C buttermilk
1 egg
2 T melted butter or other fat (bacon fat is nice)

1 1/2 C corn kernels

Optional stuff:
Chopped shallots
Sliced green onions or chives
Diced canned chilies
chopped pecans

oil for frying (pan fry)

1. Mix up the dry ingredients
  2. Add the wet ingredients and then the corn.
  3. Mix only til combined - do not over mix.
  4. Drop spoonfuls into hot fat frying until brown and then turning. Remove from pan to a rack prior to eating. Serve with applesauce or sourcream or even catsup.

I like mine with chives and pecans.

MyDad just used Aunt Jemima brand pancake mix and made the batter as per package directions. Then he'd add a can of whole kernel corn and mix it into the batter. He cooked them just like pancakes.

Mine use my pancake recipe, but with half the liquid, and melted butter mixture into the batter instead of cooking oil. I also replace half of the milk with the juice from the canned corn. And incited of cooking them like pancakes, I use an ice cream scoop to portion out the fritters into hot oil, and pan- fry them.

I like the looks of Janet's recipe. I'm going to have to give it a try. You could add any seasonings you would use with corn, and even add small-dice veggies, such as peppers minced into the batter as well. Nutmeg is also a good flavor to add to the batter.

Seeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

While we're at it try adding a can of chopped clams with or without the corn.

Use the clam liquid as part of the milk in the fritter recipe.

I can imagine grilled corn on the cob with Jalapenos.Mixed into the batter.
Lets toss in some diced bacon for kicks.
Why not... Give our arteries a kick. Test our meds to see if they're working properly. :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Great ideas here.
Thank you.

Munky.

It's worth noting that some folks consider corn fritters to be a mounded up, round-ish dumpling looking thing. I am a traditionalist. Fritters should be wider than higher and about 1/2 inch thick.

Back
Top Bottom