ISO Pork & Coconut Milk Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I have some leftover breaded pork cutlets that need using up. I'd welcome any ideas, especially recipes using milk. Thanks in advance.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Not sure how breaded pork cutlets will work, but google Thai curry recipes with pork. You can choose red, yellow, Massaman curry, etc.

Breaded pork cutlets = Schnitzel. Sauté until just cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side, or it will be tough and dry. Add a sunny side up egg on top and you have Schnitzel Holstein. Serve with sides of spätzle and sauerkraut or roasted potatoes and braised red cabbage.

For your coconut milk, you will love this: Mahi-Mahi in Coconut Caramel Sauce. I created this recipe after having it at the Ana Mandara restaurant in San Francisco. It took a lot of experimentation to get it right, but I think my recipe does it justice. It is a bit labor intensive, but hell, you've got nothing better to do or you wouldn't be in here playing the song title game!

Mahi-Mahi in Coconut Caramel Sauce​

Ingredients:
  • 4 mahi-mahi fillets, 6oz each
  • ½ cup all-purpose flour

Marinade

• ¼ cup sesame oil
  • ¼ cup lemon juice
  • ¼ cup lite soy sauce
  • ¼ cup hoi sin sauce
  • 2 tsp turbinado or demerara sugar
  • 1 Tbs chili garlic sauce
  • 2 tsp Chinese five spice
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
Sauce​
  • 2 cups turbinado or demerara sugar
  • 1½ cups coconut milk
  • 3 Tbs Asian fish sauce
  • ¼ cup minced shallots
  • 1 Tbs minced fresh ginger
  • 1 tsp garlic, minced
  • ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
  • Fresh ground black pepper
  • 2 scallions, white and green parts, sliced very thin

Instructions:

In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the marinade ingredients together. Put the mahi-mahi fillets into a large zippered plastic bag. Pour in the marinade, squeeze out the air, zip the bag closed and allow the mahi-mahi to marinate in the refrigerator for 1 to 4 hours. Remove the mahi-mahi from the bag, pat it dry with paper towels and discard the marinade.

Dredge the fillets in flour and grill them, turning once, until they flake easily with a fork. Set aside.

Place the sugar in a 10-inch frying pan over medium heat. Whisk the sugar until it is melted and dark amber colored, 3 to 5 minutes. Add ½ cup coconut milk to the melted sugar; the mixture will bubble vigorously. Stir the mixture over medium heat until the caramelized sugar is completely dissolved. Add the fish sauce, shallots, ginger, garlic, and remaining coconut milk and stir over medium-high heat until the sauce is the desired thickness. Pour the sauce over the plated fish fillets, then garnish each one with green onions and add fresh ground black pepper to taste.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom