Amount of Liquid for Stews

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A stew, by definition, is a dish where the solid components, meats and veggies, are submerged in a liquid. It's really a little heartier than a soup and thicker. The veggie bits are bigger. But it's all under water.

Depending on the stew, Ill 'control' the consistency by possibly adding a roux, Blending some beans and liquid and adding to the stew, adding some powdered potato ( like the instant mashed potato flakes, blending some of the liquid / and veggies and returning to the stew, or just cooking it a little longer with the lid off ( being careful not to over cook the ingredients).

Ill usually start by just covering the ingredients with whatever liquid im using, keeping a close eye, knowing I can always add more liquid if necessary.

On he occasion that the stew im making may have noodles or dumplings in it, that usually will reduce the liquid ratio too.

All the above is to thicken, the easier fix, is if it is too thick, obviously just adding Moree liquid ( broth, stock ...).

Stews , soups things like that often call for some adjusting due to the variant sizes of some of the veggies the are called for. 3 "medium" potatoes, or carrots or whatever can be interpreted differently by each person. Also, using potatoes as an example, some break down quicker that others , which will affect the consistency,

another way to look at how much liquid you want in a stew is...

do you want to or are used to eating your stew with a fork? That's a good thick stew with big huge hearty chunks. Add a serving of bread to help sop up the gravy/liquid.

Are you used to eating your stew with a spoon? Smaller chunks to fit on your spoon. You can spoon up your juices and also sop'em with some bread. Or even add dumplings to the stew itself.

There is no right or wrong, it is whatever makes you look at it and say "Stew!" or "Soup!" and when you say that you grin and reach for a utensil to start eating!

There is no right or wrong, it is whatever makes you look at it and say "Stew!" or "Soup!" and when you say that you grin and reach for a utensil to start eating!

Just to further confuse, I like what Rachel Rae says..."it's Stoup". I like more liquid than stew, and less liquid than soup.

It's stew, not rocket surgery. Simply simmer it until it reaches the desired thickness. That will also concentrate the flavours, unlike adding a thickening agent.

Last edited:
It's stew, not rocket surgery. Simply simmer it until it reaches the desired thickness. That will also concentrate the flavours, unlike adding a thickening agent.

That ^ was an unnecessary and unkind comment to someone who asked a reasonable question, especially with the screen name "Learning2Cook45".

Keep the questions coming we are happy help. ;)

BTW 'learning to cook' is that learning to cook "for" "five" people or learning to cook at '45'. LOL :LOL: not really any of my business but just curious.

Yes, I agree Kayelle, OP was asking what "a good consistency should be" not how to achieve it. Already knows to add a liquid, just not how much it should be.

I forgot to mention, that Ill sometimes add tomato paste to get the consistency that I like ( depending on the stew and if tomato paste works).

If Im serving with or over rice or noodles, I like it more on the thicker side. If eating it alone, or with bread to dip in, I like it a little thinner ( like a thick soup).

That ^ was an unnecessary and unkind comment to someone who asked a reasonable question, especially with the screen name "Learning2Cook45".
I wasn't talking to the original poster, I was talking to the people who were coming up with all these wild and crazy ways for the original poster to thicken the stew. :wacko:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom