Garlic Scapes, what do you guys do with them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
My Garlic scapes are at their peak now.
So far, I've stirred them once by themselves, another time with asparagus and a 3rd time with broccoli. I've also roasted them with other veggies, Pickled a bunch and will be making Scape pesto tomorrow . That will still leave me with about 60 - 70 I got to get rid of relatively quickly before they toughen up.

Looking for any suggestions/ ideas.

Saute in butter and add to crepes or eggs. Stir fry with your favorite Asian veggies, serve over rice.

One thing I did differently this year is to pull my garlic scapes instead of cutting them. Probably about 70% I was able to pull out extra tender “meat” instead of the scape snapping where you might cut it.

I just placed an order for garlic scapes with my weekly produce + basket order. I was hoping they would have them this week.

Made the scape pesto and it was great !! A little intense on the garlic flavor ( I thought it would be a little milder), when eaten with Italian bread ( as I did), it buffered the intensity to about perfect level. Cant wait to try it over pasta. I also bought Pita chips to dip into it with. Did pickled scapes too. Not bad and a good way to use a lot of them with a decent shelf life.

Made the scape pesto and it was great !! A little intense on the garlic flavor ( I thought it would be a little milder), when eaten with Italian bread ( as I did), it buffered the intensity to about perfect level. Cant wait to try it over pasta. I also bought Pita chips to dip into it with. Did pickled scapes too. Not bad and a good way to use a lot of them with a decent shelf life.

I'm glad that pesto turned out well. It's encouraging. I and DH are looking forward to trying it.

Back
Top Bottom