Bread with brewers Yeast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roby

Assistant Cook
I bought some Brewers Yeast for making bread with. I red that it rises slower that bread yeast.
Is there a difference in either yeast?
Do I need to use more?
Or anything that would make a difference in using the Brewers Yeast?

The brewer's yeast that I have, and usually see in stores, is added to bread for nutrition, and not for rising. Unless you bought the actual beer making yeast, it will not have active yeast in it. I have not ever used the active beer making yeast for bread, which is a different species from the baking yeast. In the old days, the brewer's yeast came from the "dregs" of making the beer, and it always had a funky smell to it, but now most of the brewer's yeast is made on its own, and is clean smelling, compared to the old stuff.

I also have never heard of using brewer's yeast to make bread rise, only as a nutritional and taste enhancement.

I just looked at the name and it is RED STAR
DISTILLER'S ACTIVE DRY YEAST
But I did read some place if it says active dry yeast it will work as regular baking yeast.

Yes, an active dry yeast would work, but I don't know if it needs any adjusting for amount. Does it tell you on the package?

brewers and "std" ADY can be subbed 1:1
I was also wondering as to whether it was active yeast or the health food inactive kind.

btw, temperature plays a much bigger role in how fast it rises than type.

Active Yeast.
I am trying the first loaf this morning. I'll post how it turned out when it comes out of the oven and we have ate a half of loaf.He He

recipe used 1 3/4 cup white flour and 1 1/4 whole wheat flour.

Warm out of the oven.
The taste is a little stronger to the whole wheat side and the crumb seems a little more course than regular yeast and seems a little dryer than before that might be due to cooking longer, not sure on that, it did rise as usual or even a little better.
So I guess I'll try other breads also and see how it works.
The worst part is I mix my bread in a bread machine and bake it in the oven and the bread machine died. Now to look at another or a stand up mixer.
What would be the best way to go and what is the best one to get under about $200?

...The worst part is I mix my bread in a bread machine and bake it in the oven and the bread machine died. Now to look at another or a stand up mixer.
What would be the best way to go and what is the best one to get under about $200?

Glad the bread turned out.

Sorry about the bread machine. If you only ever use it to knead dough, buy a stand mixer instead, it's more versatile.

Sadly, the best way to go is not under $200. Kitchen Aid is the best you can do for a home mixer. The least expensive models I've seen are between $250 and $300. If you bake a lot of breads, the least expensive model may not be the best choice.

It depends on the types of breads you want to make and whether you would use a stand mixer for other things.

My husband gave me a KitchenAid mixer years ago for Christmas and a Cuisinart bread machine this past Christmas, to replace an old one.

I use the mixer for cookies and cakes, but only for a few breads that need high-speed or long kneading, like ciabatta. You have to babysit a mixer, while you can let the bread machine do mixing, kneading and the first rise (and the baking if you want) unattended.

The KitchenAid Artisan 5.5 Quart stand mixer is pretty popular; I've seen prices starting at about $250. A quick Google search shows that my Cuisinart bread machine is selling for about $120 right now.

...The worst part is I mix my bread in a bread machine and bake it in the oven and the bread machine died. Now to look at another or a stand up mixer.

What happened with the bread machine? Mine died a couple of months ago - the selection button was stuck on my machine's "bake-only" setting. Like you, I use just the "dough" setting. When I looked online, all reasonably priced units were back-ordered, so Himself took it down to his workshop, fiddled with it a bit and cleaned it up, and it's been working fine ever since. *shhhh* If you or your SO are handy, you might want to see if you can get it going again.

KA mixers divide into two categories:

- tilt head
- lift bowl

tilt head models do fine for light to medium duty
for serious bread / stiff dough, the lift bowl is much better.

KA made themselves a big black eye when they changed to plastic gears and plastic housings. they changed (back) - and opinions on newer models are not so negative.

When all my worldly goods were stolen by an unscrupulous moving company I had to replace all my kitchen toys, including my Kitchenaid mixer. I decided to go with the Wolfgang Puck 5-Quart 600-Watt Programmable Universal Mixer and I have never regretted it. It is less expensive (under $200), more powerful (600 watts), and easier to use (no head to get in the way of loading ingredients). It works great on all batters and doughs. In fact, I am going to use mine this afternoon to make chocolate chip cookies.

s-l225.webp

BTW, you can buy a Cuisinart bread machine from Amazon for less than $200.00

Last edited:
Ya a new pan but the machine is about 15 yrs or more old and I can't find any except on ebay and would that be any better than what I have. So I guess I might just get something else.

Baked a loaf of white bread with the brewers yeast today.
The yeast seems to take longer to rise has a slightly different taste but good and a little courser crumb but not real sure about that till I bake a few more loaves. I'm going to try to make Cuban bread tomorrow.

The brewers yeast works fine has a little different taste, not bad just a little stronger. If put in the oven with hot a pot of hot water under it second rise takes about 10 min. I like it as well as regular yeast.

Back
Top Bottom