Basic Pancake Recipe.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking4Fun

Senior Cook
I found a basic pancake recipe on myrecipes.com as follows:

Ingredients
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup whole milk
1 large egg, beaten
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted, plus 1 1/2 tablespoons more for pan.

I didn't have butter or whole milk but decided to proceed anyway to experiment. They took a while to brown and came out very rubbery and difficult to cut with fork. Tasted ok though. Which ingredient are responsible with texture? Would the butter have made it less rubbery?

Can 1% milk be used instead? What other changes might be needed?

Is adding sugar really necessary?

I want basic pancakes that are similar to Bisquick, but with pronouncable ingredients.

Any reason 2 eggs can't be used?

I swear by this one

Sometimes I’ll mix the milk portion with 3/4 to 1 cup regular milk and the rest heavy cream. And sugar not optional on mine. Between the butter (as always with cooking unsalted butter) and the sugar in the mix they don’t even want to use butter on top. Just syrup. Sweet enough from mix. This is the recipe they ask for every time.

If u want to understand some of the reasoning and science behind them try starting with this vid

https://youtu.be/TuKjk-iOvaY

Last edited:
The addition of fat will help to make a tender pancake.

If you don't have butter use oil, shortening, or bacon fat. I usually melt the butter in the frying pan to grease the skillet and add the melted butter to the pancake batter.

An extra egg will make the pancake more nutritious but also a little tougher in a small batch of batter.

The addition of a small amount of sugar helps to promote browning and adds a little flavor but is not necessary.

Use the milk that you have on hand the only real difference is in the amount of fat. If you have some sour cream on hand add a dollop to the batter to make a more tender pancake.

Continue to experiment with the basic recipe until you come up with the version that you and your family enjoy.

Practice, practice, practice! :pig: :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

if the batter is too wet it takes a long time to cook and gets rubbery.

the amount of moisture flour absorbs can vary a lot by "brand" - you'll hear about differences in flour amounts due to humidity - it's true but the effect much less than the grind, wheat type, degree of extraction, etc.

when making small batches minor errors in measuring turn into problems.
cooking for two, I weigh the flour, sugar and milk - once you find the proportions that work, you can much more easily replicate a good pancake.

and . . . pick a non-store brand and stick with it.

Chief's Famous Pancake Recipe

These come out very light, fluffy, and moist. They have great flavor as well.
Dry Ingredients:
Whisk together
1 cup AP, or 1/2 cup each AP and whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. sugar
2 1/2 tsp. double acting baking powder

Add:
1 large egg
3 tbs. cooking oil, or melted butter, or melted bacon grease
3/4cup whole milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract (optional)

Whisk together to make a rough batter. There should be little lumps in the batter. This lets you know you haven't over mixed the batter.

Lightly grease a griddle or heavy frying pan. Heat until a drop of water sketters on the pan surface. Spoon 3 tbs of batter per pancake on a hot griddle, over medium-high heat. Cook until bubbles start to pop on top. Flip the pancake. If the bottom is too dark, reduce heat to medium. Cook for about 45. Seconds more. Flip again and plate.

On my square gridle, I can cook 4 pancakes at a time, and flip them without them landing on top of each other. I recomend starting with one at a time. When you are comfortable in placing the pancake right where you want it to land when you flip it, then make multiple pancakes at a tme.
Serve hot and fresh . Spread with butter, or sausage dripings, and syrup, honey, or your favorite jam.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

The addition of fat will help to make a tender pancake.

If you don't have butter use oil, shortening, or bacon fat. I usually melt the butter in the frying pan to grease the skillet and add the melted butter to the pancake batter.

An extra egg will make the pancake more nutritious but also a little tougher in a small batch of batter.

The addition of a small amount of sugar helps to promote browning and adds a little flavor but is not necessary.

Use the milk that you have on hand the only real difference is in the amount of fat. If you have some sour cream on hand add a dollop to the batter to make a more tender pancake.

Continue to experiment with the basic recipe until you come up with the version that you and your family enjoy.

Practice, practice, practice! :pig: :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

When you say "oil" what do you mean? Olive oil? We don't use vegetable oil at all here because it's so unhealthy.

Olive, avocado, canola, soybean, safflower, corn, peanut, coconut... whatever floats your boat. : wink: You want something from the Fat group to give texture to the batter. If you don't want to use any, you can substitute whole milk yogurt or a cream in its place.

Back
Top Bottom