Harvesting kale seeds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blissful

Master Chef
We let our kale go to seed this spring. Usually in Wisconsin it doesn't make it through the winter but it did make it with the cover frame (cold frame).

It finally started to yellow, so we cut it and put it in bags to dry. I rustle it everyday to keep it non-compacted. I should have enough seeds for kale for the next 5 years or more.

For the most part I am done starting seeds, though I just started some more dill, some mullein for medicinal purposes, some roots of green onion to get more green onion, and some thyme (because we never have enough).:yum:

I was going to let my kale go to seed, but just before they flowered, they looked like small, lanky, tender broccoli florets. So I clipped them and stir fried them up with the ramps that were ready at the same time. I liked it so much, im planning on starting some kale in the fall just so they can go to seed again in the spring. I also like growing and harvesting the kale at this time, cause most other times I have issues with bugs. In the cooler early spring months, there are no bugs in site.

A friend that also raises kale and keeps the seeds told me she'd let her kale go to seed, then grew kale in that spot for 12 years.

In the area I raised the kale, let it go to seed, I'm pretty sure I'll have kale for years. The seed pods kind of burst as they dry out, and kale starts to grow right away.

So although I was able to take out big bales of seed pods into paper garbage bags, I'm sure I lost a good amount of seed in that area.

I'm growing 3 kinds of kale, in three different areas and I'm glad because although kale is 69 cents a bundle, the bundles have gone from 10-15 stems down to 4-6 stems in each bundle.

I have a blue/purple type, a frilly traditional type, and one that is supposed to be like a palm tree, a kale/cabbage type. Mr bliss said I will have to look at one of the kales and probably start canning it because it looks ready. I'm guessing I'll be hot packing it and pressure canning it, so we have some for winter.

A couple of days ago, I pulled the 4 kale plants in one raised bed - Red Bor - and was surprised that it hadn't bolted at all! Usually, kale bolts here, long before this. I got a lot off the stems earlier on, a few pieces at a time, and was hoping that it would bolt, to save the seeds. Some of the leaves had a little bug damage, but it was pretty clear, for the most part.

A couple of days ago, I pulled the 4 kale plants in one raised bed - Red Bor - and was surprised that it hadn't bolted at all! Usually, kale bolts here, long before this.

Kale is biennial so I would be surprised if it bolts in the first year. In my experience, it goes to seed in the spring after winter.

Kale is supposed to be biennial, but, like parsley, it will often send up a seed stalk in times of intense heat, which I now have almost every season! And it seems that every variety I have tried has done this, until now.

I just collected the kale seeds in my hot tub garden. I think it is a rainbow kale, but I need to look at my planting pictures.

I planted them last July 29th. So an entire year to get them to seed. Is that normal?

I also collected beet seeds, a gazillion arugala seeds and some celtuce seeds. All planted the same time.

The celtuce didn't grow at all in the late summer, but one plant popped up in early winter, struggled all year and then grew in the spring and immediately bolted, but slowly.

Now my hot tub beds are cleared out and I can plant for fall in a few weeks.

Where does the time go.

Kale is supposed to be biennial, but, like parsley, it will often send up a seed stalk in times of intense heat, which I now have almost every season! And it seems that every variety I have tried has done this, until now.

Interesting. I guess that would explain what happened to some of my carrots. Some bolted and went to seed. I guess I’ll have to investigate getting some shade fabric to prevent this next year.

Back
Top Bottom