Philly-Style Pepper-Steak Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Bet you've never made this soup before. It's one of my creations, and is taken from my self-written - You Can Be Great Cook With Soups, Stew, and Chowders cookbook. This is a great summer evening soup, served with a cold, tossed salad.

My youngest daughter made this soup and called me to tell me of her experience with it. She stated that she felt that I really missed the mark with this one, explaining that as she prepared it, she tasted it every few minutes and found it to be very bland. But she went ahead and finished the soup, and then added the cheese into the serving bowls with the soup. The saltiness of the cheese, with its other flavors, perfectly seasoned the soup and she loved it. So, as always, I invite you to modify the recipe if you so desire. You can put a rind of Parmesan into the broth to season it if you prefer, or add other seasonings. But this is my recipe for how I like to make it.:yum:

Pepper-Steak Soup
Philly Sandwich. I can taste the onions, beef, cheese, and peppers. Each flavor crosses my tongue, sending signals to my brain. And I say, Wow, I am in culinary heaven."
We're going to get the same results from this soup, using the same ingredients as in the Philly Steak sandwich. let's get started. I'm hungry, and I'm commin' to your place when its done (wish I could, but there are too many of you and only one of me).
Ingredients:
1 lb. Sirloin or other lean roast
2 White Onions, peeled and cut into eight wedges
1 green Bell Pepper seeded and cut into 1/4" strips
1 bright-orange Bell Pepper seeded and cut into 1/4" strips
2 tbs. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
4 oz. Havarti sliced cheese
Salt to taste
Black Pepper to taste
Meat Tenderizer
Moisten the roast surface and sprinkle liberally with the meat tenderizer. Stab with a fork, or with a meat tenderizer all over.
Pour the olive oil into a 4 quart soup pan and heat until fragrant. Add the meat and cook for 5 minutes per side. Then, place a meat thermometer in the thickest part of the meat. Add 1 cup of water, cover, and simmer, checking the thermometer every ten minutes until it reads 135' F.
When you have reached 135" F., remove it from the liquid. Add the remaining ingredients to the soup and cook until tender. After letting the roast rest for about 20 minutes, bias slice across the grain into paper thin slices. Cut the slices into 1" strips.
When the onions are tender, ladle the soup into bowls. Add three or four strips of meat, and 1/2 slice of cheese to each bowl. Serve with a crusty loaf of garlic bread.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom