Help! Cooking radicchio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaltSearSavor

Assistant Cook
Has anyone successfully cooked radicchio?

I watched Gordan Ramsey cook it once by covering it in powder sugar, searing them, and then braising it in orange juice. It looked delicious so I decided to try it when I saw radicchio at the market. They turned out SOOO bitter. My wife didn't even finish hers :( I even tried drizzling some honey on at the end.

Any tricks on making them less bitter?

*I will say I braise them stock instead of orange juice since we didn't have any. That might help.*

Yes. And it's very bitter, which is why I don't use it. .

We enjoyed it in the Costco box of mixed baby greens. I bought some. Nope. It needs to be only a very small part of a salad. I can't use up a small one before half of it goes off, if I only put that kind of tiny amount in my salads. It can be a lovely note in the symphony of salad flavours. On its own, or too much, and yeah, far too bitter.

Just read an article on Frisee, Radicccio, Endives. All pretty much the exact same thing. Just different colours and shapes with different intensity of bitterness.

I don't mind a very SMALL bit of Frisee in salads and I have a friend who makes a wonderful Endive salad. She also does a pan version with either a cream dressing or just butter, s & p.

My bitterness factor is Spinach and Romaine Lettuce - both of which I love.

Radicchio is something we used to eat quite a lot in Italy, mostly in the Northern Italy.
Yep, it has a bitter taste but this is its particularity.
For a better taste-experience for those one who are not used to eat it, I think the best thing is to griddled it or blanched it for very few seconds, then stir-fry in a pan with oil or even knob of unsalted butter and a pinch of salt.
It's very good combined in a risotto or in a pasta dish along with some Parmigiano or pancetta as well

I don’t mind bitterness, in fact I love bitter cocktails. This was just overly bitter even for me.

I appreciate the suggestions! Blanching it first definitely might help. To your point, I think part of the problem is we ate it on its own. Mixing it in with a risotto or pasta (and of course pancetta helps!) is a great idea too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom