Yellow Pea Dip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I was thinking about French Canadian Soup, its texture, and most importantly, its flavor. It didn't take a lot of imagination to compare it to a really good bean dip. And so, I came up with this - Yellow pea Dip. It has a great texture, and the flavor is perfect to go with tortillas, or potato chips. It can also be served up as a hot side dish with something like Spanish Rice, and Carnitas.

What set this dip apart is the yellow pea flavor, mild, but similar tot lentils, or butter beans. If any of you have eaten Dahl, you know what i mean. So, here's the recipe.

Ingredients:
1 cup dried yellow peas, or yellow split peas
2 cups water
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 tbs. tomato paste
1 tsp. kosher slat
2 tbs. black pepper
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
2 tbs. Chili powder
1 tbs. Sriracha, or favorite hot sauce
2 tbs. bacon grease, butter, or lard as you prefer

Clean and rinse peas. Place into a soup pot, or dutch oven and cover with the water. Add the salt. Bring to a simmer over medium heat Cover, and turn heat to lowest setting. Cook for 40 minutes, stirring every ten minutes to prevent sticking.

Add the remaining ingredients and stir well to combine. To make a smoother dip, pour into a blender, or use a hand blender to realy make it smooth. place into a heat-proof container and chill for an hour, or until cold.

As stated, you can also serve hot as a side dish.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Sounds good, Chief! I am always making batches of beans dips, using my the end of the beans, in my oldest jars, cooking them in the Instant Pot. Sometimes, to thicken them more, I toss in an old corn tortilla or two, since most are Mexican type dips.

Back
Top Bottom