Pork spare ribs/baby back ribs input needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

htc

Head Chef
What do you think are the most important things to do/know when grilling pork ribs on a GAS GRILL???

I know there are a bunch of people out there who will say that I ruined the ribs by using gas, but that's just another thread. :)

Everytime I grill ribs, I can't get the juicy tender ribs that I am lookinig for. To be honest, I don't really have a recipe or technique. I just use a dry rub, toss it on the grill and turn to low. I flip when it looks ready (whatever that means).

If you leave pork ribs on the grill at a low setting for a long time (say several hours) does that equal tender ribs? I don't cook mine very long about an hour, I am afraid the ribs will get dry and I'll waste my ribs.

p.s. I 've seen on TV some people put beer or some sort of liquid in a spray bottle and baste using the spray bottle, anyone ever try this?

The meat on ribs isn't the most tender. As a result, you have to cook it low and slow to tenderize it. We're talking 225 F for 2-3 hours. I can't get my gas grill to maintain a temperature that low.

Ribs are usually made with a dry rub - rub it in the day before cooking and let it sit in the fridge. And a mop sauce is used during cooking. It adds flavor and moisture during the cooking process. That's what you saw in the spray bottle.

You could also add smoke from woodchips for an added flavor element.

As an alternative, check out Alton Brown's rib recipe, you can do it in your oven: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_11125,00.html

IF you go to FoodTV's site tha type "ribs" in the recipes window, you'll get a number of choices.

Last edited:
Moved to appropriate forum.

htc, HH usually does our ribs on charcoal, but what Andy says is also good. HH made ribs recently in the oven using pretty much the techniques Andy recommends and my mom can't stop raving about them.

Hi HTC... was born/raised in Oregon:rolleyes: but not the point of my post. Some thoughts on the subject until Rainee gets here.

I've successfully "Q'ed" babybacks on a Weber three burner gasser successfully. I found babybacks to be much more tender naturally than "normal" spareribs, and do okay at 275 and maybe even 300.. but 300 might be pushing it. Low/Slow is the key to pork and ribs can get dry and stay tough if cooked to hot/fast.

Andy is spot on when he says they need 2-3 hours.. actually I think 4 hours might be necessary... but not all ribs, babyback or otherwise, are created equal.. so you have to check by attempting to bend your rack in half or whatever.. if you can split your rack by bending, they are done. Start checking at about 2 1/2 to 3 hours or a six-pack's worth.. which ever comes first.

On my gas grill, which I gave to my son, I could get 275 with one burner on (the other two off).. and would toss a foil pack of wood chips (your choice.. I used hickory I think).. poke a couple of holes in the to of the foil.

One thing that would also help, although I don't do it now 'cause I use very low/slow charcoal for my ribs.. is to brine them... maybe 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup table salt (or 1/2 cup kosher) in about 2 quarts of water (I estimate).. toss in the refrig for 6 or more hours...

Then use a rub...
this is one idea but there are a bunch of recipes.. probably on this site and on the net:
1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1 3/4 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon table salt or 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Wrap in saran or other wrap... refrig 6-8 hours or overnight.. the longer the more "spicy" they will be.
Stick your probe (Polder or other.. I use a Maverick remote) in a raw potato with the end sticking out 2 inches or so... set it beside your ribs... that way you can measure you actual grill temperature.. Depending on your gas grill, if your temp is still too high...you might have to prop your lid open 1/4" or so with a wood chip or something..... then watch the temp and be sure it doesn't drop below 200 degrees...

htc, you need to cook them longer than a hour. I would set the grill at the lowest setting (and put a oven thermometer on the rack) to see what temp you're cooking at. Also (you can find them at Walmart or your BBQ store) get a little fire box and use wood pellets for smoke flavor. Probably need to cook the ribs 3-6 hours, depending on your temp.

I disagree with those long cooking times for baby back ribs. There's no reason to cook them longer than an hour if you're using indirect heat, less for direct. Spare ribs are a different story.

We make a rub with brown sugar, paprika, cayenne, fresh garlic, S&P ... let it set for 2-3 hours in the fridge ... then grill over indirect heat for about 50 minutes (flipping after 30 minutes), brushing with a sauce the last 5.

When I have to use a gas grill I use an indirect heat. I heat the whole BBQ on high heat then turn off one side and cook on it. I leave the other side adjusted so I get an even 225 to 250 degree temp and cook for 90 minutes for BBRs. Spare ribs I cook for 3 to 4 hours or longer if they are extra meaty. One thing to remember for tastier more tender ribs is to pull the membrane off the inside of the ribs. This will block the rub on the smoke from entering the meat. No, I don't think it dries the meat more than leaving it on.

For a rub I use
1 cup sweet paprika (Not Spanish)
1 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated garlic
1/2 cup granulated onion
2 tbs thyme
2 tbs basil
2 tbs tarragon
1 tb black pepper
1 tsp cayenne
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp black pepper
Blend all ingredients and season liberally on both sides of the ribs with it to taste.
Place covered loosely in the fridge over night or at least 4 hours. Grill in a cool covered grill or oven (225* to 250*F.) for 90 minutes for BBR and 2 to 3 hours for a rack of SR.

I will use 1/4 cup of the rub and mix it with 1/2 cup malt vinegar and 3/4 cup whiskey for a mop and finish with my homemade BBQ sauce.

If you are looking for a BBQ for seafood try 1/4 cup rub mixed with 1/4 cup white wine and 3 tbs evoo.

I don't use any salt in my ribs, instead I salt the meat as it cooks, it keeps the outside of the meat a little more moist.

Any rib, to get it tender will need to cook longer than hour.

We use only babybacks in competition, we cook them at about 225° to 250 ° and we cook them 4-6 hours. They will be tender, but not falling off the bone.

Rainee said:
Any rib, to get it tender will need to cook longer than hour.

We use only babybacks in competition, we cook them at about 225° to 250 ° and we cook them 4-6 hours. They will be tender, but not falling off the bone.

I've always considered baby backs to be fairly tender to begin with, just like tenderloin. Lean cuts cook quickly. Slow, low cooking is fine, but not necessary with baby backs.

I turn off the middle and front burners, put the ribs in back and prop the lid open with a tin can. I also roll my ribs rather than laying flat. Cook for about 4 hours. Very juicy, very tender.

You gotta cook them until the fat renders. I have never known anyone to cook them in an hour, not on a grill at least.

If they have been cooking them an hour and they aren't tender, then cooking them longer might be the key.

Hmmm, it sounds like there is a big difference between the big gas grills and my Weber Q. My gas grill only has one burner, it's a big oval shaped ring that is under the grill. I will have to look into getting a thermometer to check how low it goes.

Does anyone have a hand strategy to check the appropriate temp? i.e. if I put my palm a couple inches away, how long should I be able to hold it over the heat?

Thanks!

htc said:
Hmmm, it sounds like there is a big difference between the big gas grills and my Weber Q. My gas grill only has one burner, it's a big oval shaped ring that is under the grill. I will have to look into getting a thermometer to check how low it goes.

Does anyone have a hand strategy to check the appropriate temp? i.e. if I put my palm a couple inches away, how long should I be able to hold it over the heat?

Thanks!

Hard to say, I have a bad case of kitchen hands (AKA, Asbestos Finger Disorder), I reach into boiling water and handle plates that have burned wait staff. The best way is always a thermometer IMO, that way you can be sure.

Baby Back Ribs

BBQ Ribs
Recipe adapted from Chinese Smoked Ribs
Better Homes & Gardens

Ingredients:

6 lbs. loin back or baby back ribs
Remove tough membrane from back with a screwdriver.

Dry Rub:
2 tbl sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp celery seed
1/2 tsp dry mustard

Mix all together, sprinkle generously on meat, and rub in thoroughly. Let stand two hours or more.

Sauce:
1/2 cup catsup
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
3 tbl soy sauce
1 tbl grated fresh ginger, or 2 tsp ground ginger
1 clove garlic minced, or 1 tsp granulated garlic
1/2 tsp Tobasco sauce

Combine ingredients in saucepan. Cook and stir till sugar is dissolved.

Heat charcoal grill to between 250 and 275 degrees. Place ribs bone side down and cover. Cook 30 minutes, then turn. Let cook over low coals for 3 hours, turning every 20 minutes, then wrap in foil and allow to steam for 2 hours or more. (The book says 30 minutes per side, and nothing about the foil, but this is the way Kim does it, and they melt in your mouth. Besides...more time for beer!)
Remove foil from ribs and brush sauce on both sides. Grill, uncovered, till sauce is caramalized, about 10-15 minutes more.

*I make up 3-4 batches of the sauce and rub at a time, storing spices in a shaker jar in my cupboard, and the sauce in a quart jar or catsup bottle in the fridge.
It lasts forever as long as it hasn't been contaminated with the meat.

*This sauce and rub are good for any type of pork...pork steaks are especially good. Kim likes to crisp the meat up on the grill and let some of the fat drip off before he brushes it with the sauce.
The sauce is also very tasty on a pulled pork sandwich, along with a little vinegar based slaw.

Attachments

• baby back ribs.jpeg
    baby back ribs.jpeg
    110 KB · Views: 331
Throw some wood on the charcoal and add a little smoke flavor.

I've seen ribs cooked in competition in a very simliar method.

Actually, I left out the part about the hickory chips. Thanks for bringing that up Rainee.
By the way, I had an Aunt Rainee (Lorraine), and she was a great cook! :)

I agree with Rainee on the BB ribs, based only on my first hand experience which, admittedly is somewhat limited.. being 15 years of so. Prior to that I used to boil my ribs to tenderize them, then baste them in some sauce and toss them on the grill to char a bit... Then one day someone said to me "Why are you tossing away all that good pork broth?" (referring to the water I had used to boil the ribs in)... I then decided I didn't want to continue making pork soup.. so I learned bit about the long/slow cooking techniques of BBQ.

I don't believe God invented a pig with baby back ribs tender enough to be cooked tender in less than three hours, or at least He doesn't allow them to be sold in the Seattle area. I seem to recall one rack of baby backs I did a long time ago (with HIGH FAT content) that became kinda "bone loose" after about 3 hours... and I pulled them off. The rest of them have taken at least 4 hours... at ANY temp (except my pressure cooker which cooks them pretty tender in about 20-25 minutes with 15 lbs pressure..and allowed to cool naturally.. but then you leave half your flavor in the liquid in your pressure cooker.. not cool.).

Bear in mind too, that not all ribs are created equal and unlike a lot of other cooking, "Q" isn't really time dependent,, it's "feel" dependent.. you flat have to CHECK them,, if the bone wiggles, can be pulled out a bit and/or the rack will start to break when bent, they are done. Time is only a general guideline for when to start checking them.

I seldom "Q" baby backs 'cause I don't believe they have the same degree aka "as much" flavor as "regular" ribs; have much less meat; and cost about twice as much...

Ribs are more forgiving than most cuts though, and can tolerate a 300 degree temp, or flair ups at 325.. most pork turns to shoe leather IF you cook it at very high temps though.

Bear in mind that with any grill/smoker thing with a cover (Weber kettle, Weber gas with some burners turned off, etc.) that your dome temp will always be at least 25 degrees higher than your grill temp.. so if your dome thermometer says 325 degrees, you're actually cooking your ribs at 275... I mention this 'cause it confuses a lot of people new to "Q"...

HanArt said:
I still say baby backs are tender and don't require long grilling times. If you've never tried it how would you know?

http://www.barbecue.thecamp.com/rib.htm

http://www.ehow.com/how_18259_barbecue-baby-back.html

I wonder if there is case for plagiarism between those sites?

I might go for a quick cook of 90 minutes in an emergency but no way will I even try to contemplate 12 minutes total cooking time. If I have the time I will slow smoke BBRs or any other rib for 6 hours or more.

I noticed that the author of one site suggested 'pre-cooking' thicker ribs. I wonder if he was talking about boiling? Any other method of cooking I can think of is an oven and that is all a smoker is really. The slow grill with a hood has the same effect.

BTW, if they are tender, why do they recommend a knife to cut away the bone when it should pull off with little effort? I'm not trying to be argumentative but the terms that are being used don't make since to me.

Back
Top Bottom