Using self-rising flour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lov2cook

Assistant Cook
hi, can someone help me. i want to make pizza dough but all i have is self-rising flour and of couse yeast. any ideas.
thanks to all

I would not recommend using self-rising flour and yeast together, the two do not go well together. SR flour already contains chemical leaveners, while yeast is of course, an organic leavener.

I would be more inclined to make the base simply out of the flour and skip the yeast. Of course this isn't a real pizza base but what else can you do?

To make a perfect pizza, you have to use a strong bread flour

bought in any supermarket... I make lots of pizza's and each time they are good, fresh yeast is the best to use, again this can be got in the supermarket,to make an 8-10 inch pizza you will need 250grams of flour 5 grams of salt 8 grams of yeast,
8 grams of sugar, enough water to make a stiff dough...
cook on 220 c;
I hope this is of help to you, let me know if you need any more help
regards Viv....:chef:

I use scales, to get the best measurements, but you can use teaspoons for the salt , sugar, and yeast, 1 teaspoon equals 5 grams approx; but you are best to weigh with scales..

If you cannot weigh a small ammount on your scales, then weigh say 25 grams and divide
it into 5 portions, 1 portion being 5grams ...come back if this is not clear to you..

happy cooking
VIV

Viv, I use bread or all-purpose flour when I make pizza. If I make a focaccia dough for pizza I use bread flour, but usually just AP for regular pizza dough.

Usually focaccia dough has olive oil in the mix, whereas pizza dough does not, to get a really good pizza dough , the strong bread flour is the best, my son is a bread baker so I have it on good authority !! but what ever works for you is O.K.
all the best
Viv...

When I was in Florida 10 years ago I had some delicious corn bread, any one got a good
recipe they wish to share with me ?
Thank's
VIV...

Viv, this is the cornbread recipe I use all the time. Also, if you go to the Breads forum & do a serch for cornbread, you will find a lot of good ones there.

2C self rising corn meal mix
1 1/4C. whole milk
1 egg
1/4C. all purpose flour

Preheat oven to 400F. Measure out 1/4C shortening into an 8 inch cast iron skillet. Place skillet containong shortening into the hot oven for 5 minutes. Crack egg into a mixing bowl, add milk & beat until egg is throughly incorporated with the milk. Add corn meal mix & flour, mix until smooth. Remove hot skillet from oven & pour melted shortening into batter. Mix until shortening is throughly incorperated into batter. Pour batter into hot skillet & bake 25-30 minutes or until done.

Thank-you for the corn bread recipe, it looks easy to make, I'm gonna give it a go this weekend,
Thank's again
Viv...

Back
Top Bottom