Candy Orange Flavor in chicken?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking4Fun

Senior Cook
There was this orange chicken I used to like at a local Chinese restaurant that has closed. It tasted almost like orange candy. Nothing that I have been able to recreate at home. Any ideas? Where does orange candy flavor come from? Oil in the zest?

Is it one of those things with the tangerine peel in it? Not something like candy, but that's what gives a lot of the so called orange flavored dishes their flavor, not orange. I've even saved my own tangerine peel, and dried it, but it's not as intense as that dried brown stuff, I get in the Asian market.

Tangerine isn't a type of orange? Where does orange candy flavor come from? Marmalade may have many unknown ingredients.

Another vote for orange marmalade.

This simple glaze/sauce is good on wings, chicken nuggets, ham, etc...

1/2 cup favorite bottled BBQ Sauce.
1 cup sweet orange marmalade
3 T soy sauce
1 T sesame oil
Huy Fong chili paste or hot pepper flakes to taste

I would stirfry some garlic, chicken or pork chunks, onion, and green pepper, coat with the sauce serve over plain white rice. You could also use deep-fried chicken nuggets in place of the plain chicken.

Good luck!

Another vote for orange marmalade.

This simple glaze/sauce is good on wings, chicken nuggets, ham, etc...

1/2 cup favorite bottled BBQ Sauce.
1 cup sweet orange marmalade
3 T soy sauce
1 T sesame oil
Huy Fong chili paste or hot pepper flakes to taste

I would stirfry some garlic, chicken or pork chunks, onion, and green pepper, coat with the sauce serve over plain white rice. You could also use deep-fried chicken nuggets in place of the plain chicken.

Good luck!
That's, pretty much how I make mine. Its delicious.. :)

Tangerine isn't a type of orange? Where does orange candy flavor come from? Marmalade may have many unknown ingredients.

Them devious so&so's.. :ermm::LOL:

Ross

Lots (most?) marmalade includes some of the peel. For that reason, I dislike marmalade. You could push the marmalade through a sieve and remove the bitter tasting peel.

It's really difficult to solve for someone else's food memory/fantasy.

You could try using sweetened frozen orange juice concentrate as the base for the sauce with a corn starch thickener.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom