Lordy, Friday Again Already?? 10/30

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
This month just FLEW by....

Pulled Pork BBQ (Jack Daniel's Sauce), White Rice and Broccoli Cuts..... and the Salad........

Pork, Pulled BBQ, Broccoli Cuts.jpg

We're ordering Greek food.

My son and I enjoy Greek food on occasion from a local place who makes super good stuff. I looooooove their hummus. It's some of the best I've tried. I have a philosophy that if a Greek place can't do good hummus, the rest of their food isn't worth trying. But our local place makes amazing food, from the Gyros to the desserts.

What did you order? What are your favorites?

My son and I enjoy Greek food on occasion from a local place who makes super good stuff. I looooooove their hummus. It's some of the best I've tried. I have a philosophy that if a Greek place can't do good hummus, the rest of their food isn't worth trying. But our local place makes amazing food, from the Gyros to the desserts.

What did you order? What are your favorites?

DH had a gyro platter with pita. I had a souvlaki platter. Do you mean tzaziki? We don't get hummus from Greek places. We get it from North African places. But, back to the tzaziki, they don't make great tzaziki. It's not a wonderful Greek resto. It's a Greek owned pizza place. The food is pretty good, but nothing to write home about.

Our favourites depend on the resto. Some are better at some things and others at other things. I am very fond of a nicely put together pikilia platter. I think my favourite Greek dessert is galaktoboureko.

I told Jeannie that I didn't feel like cooking and to think of where she would like to eat.

She said that we had leftover meatloaf in the fridge and open faced sandwiches would be nice. I told her that sounds great and asked if she wanted to make a gravy for them. :ermm::LOL:

We both enjoyed crab linguini and Caesar salads at a fave Italian restaurant. ;)

Tiramisu was dessert. :yum:

Ross

I told Jeannie that I didn't feel like cooking and to think of where she would like to eat.

She said that we had leftover meatloaf in the fridge and open faced sandwiches would be nice. I told her that sounds great and asked if she wanted to make a gravy for them. :ermm::LOL:

We both enjoyed crab linguini and Caesar salads at a fave Italian restaurant. ;)

Tiramisu was dessert. :yum:

Ross

Sounds like my house, but for now, we order out. The numbers here in the Montreal area are bad enough that the government closed all resto dining rooms. Take out and delivery only.

DH had a gyro platter with pita. I had a souvlaki platter. Do you mean tzaziki? We don't get hummus from Greek places. We get it from North African places. But, back to the tzaziki, they don't make great tzaziki. It's not a wonderful Greek resto. It's a Greek owned pizza place. The food is pretty good, but nothing to write home about.

Our favourites depend on the resto. Some are better at some things and others at other things. I am very fond of a nicely put together pikilia platter. I think my favourite Greek dessert is galaktoboureko.

No, I mean hummus. I know the difference between the two ;)

I have never in my life seen a North African restaurant. That's very interesting. I'll have to look up to see what types of foods they make.

But here, you can get hummus at any Greek restaurant. Some of the restaurants make it good, some don't. Well, actually, in my personal opinion, there are two places that make wonderful hummus and that's Gyro City Grill and Aladdin's Eatery, who specializes more in Lebanese food than Greek.

But both places serve it with pitas and, of course, drizzle it with olive oil and sprinkle on paprika. The difference between the two places is Aladdin's Eatery puts slices of tomato and cucumber on top of theirs.

No, I mean hummus. I know the difference between the two ;)

I have never in my life seen a North African restaurant. That's very interesting. I'll have to look up to see what types of foods they make.

But here, you can get hummus at any Greek restaurant. Some of the restaurants make it good, some don't. Well, actually, in my personal opinion, there are two places that make wonderful hummus and that's Gyro City Grill and Aladdin's Eatery, who specializes more in Lebanese food than Greek.

But both places serve it with pitas and, of course, drizzle it with olive oil and sprinkle on paprika. The difference between the two places is Aladdin's Eatery puts slices of tomato and cucumber on top of theirs.

I guess I should have written "Southern Mediterranean". Lebanese falls into the category I meant. Technically, Lebanon is not in North Africa. That stops at Egypt, going west to east.

The best hummus I have tasted is the one I make. But, hummus is still yummy when it isn't as good as the one I make.

I guess I should have written "Southern Mediterranean". Lebanese falls into the category I meant. Technically, Lebanon is not in North Africa. That stops at Egypt, going west to east.

The best hummus I have tasted is the one I make. But, hummus is still yummy when it isn't as good as the one I make.

Oh, okay, gotcha.

I've made hummus at home a few times. I can never get it smooth enough, though, even when I take the time to remove the outer skins from the garbanzo beans. It's not bad, though.

I could never make hummus smooth enough until I got my Vitamix, which makes anything super-smooth - you don't even have to rub the skins off. However, adding the EVOO early can get it bitter, with the aeration from the blades, so I add that last. Similar problem happens making mayo in a blender with EVOO.

Last edited:
I could never make hummus smooth enough until I got my Vitamix, which makes anything super-smooth - you don't even have to rub the skins off. However, adding the EVOO early can get it bitter, with the aeration from the blades, so I add that last. Similar problem happens making mayo in a blender with EVOO.

I never add the EVOO until the end. In fact, sometimes I don't add it at all.

I looked into the Vitamix thing. Way too expensive for me :(

Back
Top Bottom