Not Granny's Sunday Dinner 11/1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
I had a sous Chef in the kitchen tonight , LOL !
General Chang's Chicken !

IMG_4883.jpg

Chicken, General Tso's.jpg

We're eating in front of the TV today. Earlier we had cocktails and shrimp cocktail. Tonight we're having take-out pizza and beer.

Tonight was a making lemonade out of lemons kinda dinner.
Initial intentions was a deconstructed vegetable pot pie, similar to one I had in the past at a restaurant. Basically, instead of a crust, they made biscuits sliced in 1/2. Bottom half on the plate, pot pie filling on top of that , and then the top the biscuit to top it off.

I then realized I had a lot of shredded potatoes in the freezer, so I figured I'd mix things up a bit by making a hash brown potato cup, serving the pt pie filling inside, and toping with half a biscuit.

This is where it got ugly. The potatoes just never quite crisped up and took shape, so basically it was hash browns. I figured, ok, no big deal, Ill just go with my original plan and serve with the biscuits. When I took the biscuits out, they looked great, but rethinking the recipe, I was wondering why there was so much sugar, so I sliced off a small piece of the biscuit for a taste. Very sweet, looked at the recipe, and realized it was a shortcake biscuit recipe I was following, not just plain biscuits. In addition, it called for butter or coconut oil (as a substitute if you wanted to be vegan( My wife)). I used the coconut oil. So not only was it sweet, it had a hint of coconut taste to it too. It actually tasted really good with a nice consistency.

So, I got my " Chopped " mind in full gear. Turns out, I made a nest of the hash browns, served the pot pie filling in the center of the nest. Then, went to the freezer, got some frozen berries, the fridge some raspberry jam, and the cupboard for some sugar and corn starch. I through together a nice berry sauce ( which I strained to get the berry solids, skins and seeds out) and drizzled it over the biscuits for dessert.

All in all, a success mixed with a little excitement. The kicker is, tonight was to be my easy no brainer dinner with little stress. Turns out I had to work for it.

( I liked the berry topped shortbread so much, that I saved it for future use).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-01 at 7.15.42 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-11-01 at 7.15.42 PM.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 79
  • Screen Shot 2020-11-01 at 7.16.02 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-11-01 at 7.16.02 PM.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 75
I'm still on a "blue plate special" kick. Tonight was meatloaf with mashed potatoes and peas. Apple pie for dessert.

Attachments

• 2020-11-01 17.52.51.jpg
    2020-11-01 17.52.51.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 83
We ordered out from Scarolies Pasta Emporium, one of our favourite Italian restos. It was yummers. I had spaghetti carbonara. DH had spaghetti with Bolognese and meat balls. We shared a large Caesar salad. It would have been better if the UberEats driver had rung the doorbell when they delivered the food. I was getting impatient and asked DH where the driver was, since he ordered, so he's the one that can see the map with the icon for the driver's car. "It looks like it's already been delivered." So, we checked, and it was sitting in front of our door, getting cold. It would have taken the driver two extra seconds, if that, to ring the doorbell. :ermm:

Last edited:
I defrosted some chicken noodle soup I made almost exactly a year ago, and had a few Reese's PB cups after.

What a shame, taxy. I'd complain to Uber about that. I'm sure the delivery fee and tip are high enough to warrant better attention to detail.

We're cleaning out the fridge in advance of leaving for FL on Tuesday. We had the last of the ham along with a basically Asian assortment of veggies. They were all steamed together except for the bok choy; I steamed it lightly first, then finished it in a pan with a little butter. Finished off the whole wheat bread, too.

IMG_20201101_212944406.jpg

CG, we could give the driver a less than stellar rating in the app. But, from what I hear, they don't use the feed to tell the drivers what the problem is. They just don't get as many calls. Basically punishment, not learning. Those poor drivers don't make very much money per delivery as it is. if it was the resto's own delivery driver, I would have called the resto and said something.

I had a juicy ground chuck burger with pickle chips, American cheese, fried onions and ketchup on half a Portuguese roll.

Back
Top Bottom