What to do with flax seeds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgevan

Senior Cook
for some reason I collected a whole bunch of flax seeds and don't know what to do with them. Any suggestions?

When I was watching my carbs ( for medical reasons) flax seeds were something I could eat High in protein, High in fiber. I bought flax seed that was kinda milled into a rough flour and followed a recipe to make flax seed crackers. Didnt work out well. That being said, ive seen people work it into bread dough, use as a granola ingredient, sprinkle it on yogurt... I think for health and diet benefits its a winner, but for actual taste ( especially as the main ingredient) not so much ( at least in my limited experiences)

I agree with blissful, grind them up into a flax meal. I love adding flax meal to my hot cereals (oatmeal, wheat porridge) as well as a tablespoon or two of almond flour. Turns hot cereal into yummy stuff as well as adding extra nutrients.

For example, I love Cream of Wheat. But nutritionally, it's not what they would call a "powerhouse" of sorts. But adding in ground flax and almond flour not only makes the hot cereal tasty and rich, but gives it a nutritional boost.

What GG mentions is true, only birds (unless you have a gizzard) can really get any benefit from unground flax seeds.

My second advice is to use your grinder and do your seeds fresh when needed.
They've lost a lot of their beneficial power if pre-ground.

and there you have the extent of my bountiful knowledge on flax seeds.
(please don't quote me! :rolleyes:)

Magnus Nilsson has a recipe for a thin cracker made from flax seeds. I believe the recipe is in both the original Fäviken book and his new Fäviken 4015 days book.

If you are someone that uses ground flax seed, also called flax seed meal, you might be aware of the differences in price.

Right now flax seed meal is about 3.19/lb us dollars. From the same company (both at our grocery store), flax seeds (unground) are $1.49. It's quite a savings to buy the seeds unground.

As with all seeds, nuts, and grains, these keep for a good long time unground, but once ground the fats are exposed to oxygen and slowly degrade, which can become rancid. If you've tasted rancid grain/flour, nuts or seeds, it is a bitter acrid smell and taste. Avoid eating rancid things. The oxidized fats have free radicals.

I also buy chia seeds, whole. We use them daily with flax. When I run out of ground flax and chia, I grind more. I take a pound of each, grind them in the spice grinder, mix them, and put them in shaker containers to use daily, the rest in glass jars to freeze.

Back
Top Bottom