Saturday Night Kitchen Fights 11/14

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I made a small batch of tom kha gai tonight, but there was another dish I wanted to make, to use up a bunch of the Thai basil I had to harvest - a Thai basil emulsion sauce, which I originally found in a favorite CB - Asian Flavors Of Jean Georges, where it was a dip sauce for a beef satay, but I've used it for a number of things since. And on another forum, in a discussion of using the juice from canned beans as a substitute for egg yolks, for those vegans out there, or those that don't like eating raw eggs. I tried it - just 1 tb chick pea juice, in place of an egg yolk, and it worked great! I thought that I might need to add more, but didn't, and the taste was barely noticeable - even though I knew it was there, I could barely tell - the other flavors came through as always. I'll post more on this topic on another thread.

All I made to dip into it were some simple sauteéd shrimp. I also made a very quick chipotle sauce, with the last of my tomatoes - not traditional, but another favorite of mine!
Thai basil emulsion, and chipotle sauce, for dipping shrimp. Not traditional together, but favorites of mine. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Sautéed shrimp, ready for dipping. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I roasted chicken legs over corn and pearl onions with several thyme sprigs from the garden. Served it with pan-roasted green beans and homemade sweet-potato caramelized onion bread. I added roasted garlic to the bread this time. So good [emoji39]
20201114_183339.jpg20201114_194538.jpg

We picked up pizzas and went to a friend's house where we ate pizza and talked around a large fire pit while keeping socially distant. It was nice to see other people.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom