Anyone use bitters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgevan

Senior Cook
Another thing I bought thinking it might be of some sort of use in flavoring. Anyone use Bitters. My bottle is rhubarb flavor.

I bought Angostura Bitters for some cocktail my husband wanted to make. That was a couple of months ago. The bottle hasn't been opened yet and I don't remember which cocktail it was for.

I use Angostura original along with their (or Fee's) orange and cherry for cocktails. Never really thought of using them in cooking as they are mostly alcohol and I would get better flavor from actual food (orange zest/juice, cherry syrup, etc.).

Don't recall ever seeing a recipe other than cocktails that call for them so you'll just need to experiment with a small portion of a dish to see if it adds what you may be looking for.

Another thing I bought thinking it might be of some sort of use in flavoring. Anyone use Bitters. My bottle is rhubarb flavor.

You can use bitters to pop up other things besides drinks.

Add to fruit salad, ice cream base, salad dressings, juice or lemonade and even pancake syrup to take the edge of the sweet...

use sparingly - just a few drops will do

Last edited:
I bought Angostura Bitters for some cocktail my husband wanted to make. That was a couple of months ago. The bottle hasn't been opened yet and I don't remember which cocktail it was for.
The Manhattan and the whiskey sour are a couple of popular drinks that include Angostura bitters.

Shhh... I'm making coffee bitters for DH for Christmas. He likes it in a gin and tonic.

The Manhattan and the whiskey sour are a couple of popular drinks that include Angostura bitters.

Shhh... I'm making coffee bitters for DH for Christmas. He likes it in a gin and tonic.

Thanks, good suggestions. DH didn't remember either, so we googled and we will be trying those or maybe a brandy sour, because DH likes brandy better than whisky. I think he watched a video that was showing some drink from the 1800s. Whatever, I got them because, I figured we they were something that we should have with the rest of the bar supplies.

i want to hear more about those coffee bitters.

Thanks, good suggestions. DH didn't remember either, so we googled and we will be trying those or maybe a brandy sour, because DH likes brandy better than whisky. I think he watched a video that was showing some drink from the 1800s. Whatever, I got them because, I figured we they were something that we should have with the rest of the bar supplies.

We tried the brandy sour tonight. That was delicious. The bitters added just the right, subtle touch. I had hoped to make a Manhattan, but we don't seem to have any sweet vermouth. We don't have any maraschino cherries, but I was willing to forgo them. I do have some frozen cherries, so I think I will make my own maraschino cherry substitute with some vodka and sugar.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom