An Instant Pot Italian style gruel, made with spelt and barley

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pepperhead212

Executive Chef
Today I made another dish in the Instant Pot; though not a one dish meal, it finished in the IP, and it was started by cooking 3/4 c each of pearl barley and spelt (these cook in about the same time, under pressure), cooked in 4 c of salted water, set on low pressure for 20 min, and released naturally. While doing this, I cooked the pound of sweet Italian sausages and mushrooms my normal way - steamed the pricked sausages in a skillet, then boiled the water off, and browned them in the fat. The washed pound of mushrooms I halved, and steamed in a small amount of water , and boiled that water off, and browned the mushrooms in just a half tb of oil. All this was combined, and set aside; the rehydrated 2¼ oz of dried eggplant (about 1½ lbs equivalent) was drained, and set aside.

After the grains pressure released, I drained them, and set aside. In the rinsed out IP, I sautéed 1 large onion in a few tb olive oil,, adding 1 tb minced garlic, and 2 tb of tomato paste towards the end. I added a 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes, and 1/2 oz of dried tomatoes, which I rehydrated, and blended with 1 c water. I added about 4 tb flat leaf parsley, 3 tb fresh marjoram, 1 tb fresh Syrian oregano (thyme scented), and a tb of fresh rosemary, all minced, and some crushed red pepper. The eggplant was stirred in, then the lid was sealed, and it was set to 15 min high pressure. I let the pressure release naturally, turned it off, then stirred it briefly, then stirred the sausage and mushrooms in. Then I set it on slow cook, high (basically a slow simmer), for 20 min. I stirred it briefly, then stirred in the grains, and simmered another minute or two. I let it sit, on off, for 10 more min, and then served it, with some grated locatelli cheese.
Rehydrating dried eggplant by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Tomato sauce, with the mushrooms, sausages, and re-hydrated eggplant added, to simmer. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Tomato mix, after simmering 20 minutes, with the cooked barley and spelt added, to simmer briefly. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished gruel, before topping with cheese. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished dish, topped with locatelli by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Last edited:
Sorry Kathleen - I guess I forgot to mention how much I liked that! It was absolutely delicious, and it's good leftover, as well. Even one of those things that was good cold, but it was better warmed up, with cheese on it. It probably would freeze well. I made something like this before, with some diced bell peppers, and basil as the main herb flavor, that was also delicious.

Last edited:
Sorry Kathleen - I guess I forgot to mention how much I liked that! It was absolutely delicious, and it's good leftover, as well. Even one of those things that was good cold, but it was better warmed up, with cheese on it. It probably would freeze well. I made something like this before, with some diced bell peppers, and basil as the main herb flavor, that was also delicious.

It sounds good. It also sounds like it would make a lot! I'd need to be able to freeze it!

I'm sure that it would freeze well, as I have frozen things with barley and spelt (though not together, like this), and they reheat well, without turning mushy. And, surprisingly, those rehydrated dried eggplants (something that I have large amounts of, from previous gardens) retain their shape better than fresh eggplant, even when frozen.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom