Brand formerly known as Aunt Jemima reveals new name

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kleenex

Master Chef
https://www.yahoo.com/news/brand-formerly-known-aunt-jemima-235545247.html

82e3f3efdaa6e43d175dc6cf7f673a77

Just saw this on reddit.

The real Aunt Jemima, Lillian Richard (1891-1956), giving a pancake demonstration c. 1930 in Texas

Ross

Attachments

• Aunt Jemima.jpg
    Aunt Jemima.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 95
Not being g American, it’s hard for me to understand why some people would not want somebody to be honored by naming the bran fir that person.
But what’s even worse, I don’t understand that new name. Sounds like something fake, made up.

Not being g American, it’s hard for me to understand why some people would not want somebody to be honored by naming the bran fir that person.
But what’s even worse, I don’t understand that new name. Sounds like something fake, made up.

I understand that it can be understood as honouring someone, but that was not the original intent. It was a portrayal of a Black woman as a servant, complete with a bunch of stereotypes about Black people. It's a reminder of "happier days" when Black people were slaves.

As to the "new name", it's actually an old name. From the article:

“Though new to store shelves, Pearl Milling Company was founded in 1888 in St. Joseph, Missouri, and was the originator of the iconic self-rising pancake mix that would later become known as Aunt Jemima,” the statement reads.

I understand that Aunt Jemima was a black face minstrel character, the original intent doesn't seem great
I understand that it can be understood as honouring someone, but that was not the original intent. It was a portrayal of a Black woman as a servant, complete with a bunch of stereotypes about Black people. It's a reminder of "happier days" when Black people were slaves.

As to the "new name", it's actually an old name. From the article:

:

Oh my. Little did I know. :ohmy:

Thank you for explaining.

I could well be vilified by 'African Americans' or who ever! but personally I thought it was a compliment....

in that the 'spoiled whities' didn't know how to cook, but Auntie did! and so did Uncle Ben!

I could well be vilified by 'African Americans' or who ever! but personally I thought it was a compliment....

in that the 'spoiled whities' didn't know how to cook, but Auntie did! and so did Uncle Ben!
It's not, though. The facts don't support that conclusion.

The real story behind ‘Aunt Jemima,’ and a woman born enslaved in Mt. Sterling, Kentucky

To understand why the “Aunt Jemima” image is racist, one would have to first understand American history, which as a nation we have worked hard to sanitize. To all my friends who remain confused, I would like to first share that “Aunt Jemima” was a minstrel show character developed during the mid-1850s by a white male in blackface (yes, that same blackface which has embarrassed so many of our modern politicians) dressed as a black woman, designed to entertain white audiences. An extremely popular art form, white minstrelsy performed in blackface became the major way by which white audiences were introduced to a perceived notion of “black” life and culture. The “Aunt Jemima” minstrel character was meant to reflect the archetypical southern “Mammy” every white American household needed and desired and as such, has remained one of the most enduring 19th century caricatures embraced by modern society as an authentic black representation.

Never achieving the status of “Mother,” (a status reserved for white women) “Mammy” or the nationally elevated “Aunt Jemima,” was at best a “mother’s helper.” Trusted enough to remain in the big house, it was “Mammy’s” responsibility to prepare the family’s food and clothing, to care for the family’s children, grandchildren, nephews, nieces, and friends, and to serve as a trusted confidant responsible for the emotional and physical support and well-being of her white family. Always happy, never complaining, loyal and dutiful to the end, “Mammy” worked for no pay or time-off. She survived only on the love and support of her white family.

https://www.kentucky.com/opinion/op-ed/article243794117.html

I didn't say I was right - I should have made myself more clear. I grew up in a household that truly believed in equality - and to my child's mind the fact that the person pictured was black didn't make any difference to me - I thought she was on the cover because she really knew how to make the best pancakes!

I didn't say I was right - I should have made myself more clear. I grew up in a household that truly believed in equality - and to my child's mind the fact that the person pictured was black didn't make any difference to me - I thought she was on the cover because she really knew how to make the best pancakes!
I see - you were speaking of yourself as a child. I didn't realize that.

I thought the same thing as a child, Dragnlaw. My great-grandmother's friend "Ma'am," who was African American, made spectacular food. Her collards have no equal. Side by side, she worked with my great-grandmother to raise collective families and work a dairy along with other jobs. If you hired my great-grandmother, then you also hired Ma'am.

Plus, Ma'am was funny and warm, and....well, she was Ma'am! :heart: My grandmother was inconsolable when Ma'am passed away. She said it was like losing her mother all over again.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom