Cooking Torch Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RVS053063

Assistant Cook
I just purchased a cooking torch with butane canisters. The instructions say that I should remove the canister from the torch after using it. Is this really necessary? Does every do this? Would just be more difficult to store if I had to do this each time. Thanks.

For some models, the seal between the fuel and/or the valve itself are not 100%. So if you don't mind some leakage here (and wasting fuel) you can ignore the recommendation to remove it between uses.

For some models, the seal between the fuel and/or the valve itself are not 100%. So if you don't mind some leakage here (and wasting fuel) you can ignore the recommendation to remove it between uses.

...then, when you ant to use it again, the canister will be empty.

When I finally buy a torch (not so important as I now have a gas range) I think I will get the smallest plumbing torch available.
They seem to be much cheaper and run on regular propane gas. Propane tanks at the store are very inexpensive, but a little big. But can be easily held in one hand.

When I finally buy a torch (not so important as I now have a gas range) I think I will get the smallest plumbing torch available.
They seem to be much cheaper and run on regular propane gas. Propane tanks at the store are very inexpensive, but a little big. But can be easily held in one hand.

Craig uses his to light the grill and also to char peppers. When he uses the plumbing torch to do the peppers, it chars the skin so quickly that the flesh of the pepper is hardly cooked at all and the pepper still holds its shape.

Craig uses his to light the grill and also to char peppers. When he uses the plumbing torch to do the peppers, it chars the skin so quickly that the flesh of the pepper is hardly cooked at all and the pepper still holds its shape.

That is exactly why I will get that type.

I still have a plumbing torch I got in late '83, when I bought my house, and did a lot of plumbing work! I still use it to this day, more for kitchen work, than plumbing! A lady I knew back in the late 90s gave me a "kitchen" torch, powered by butane, but it did not work as well - eventually, I gave it to someone who didn't do plumbing! :LOL:

I got my torch at Home Depot - it takes either propane or MAPP.

I had a couple of those little kitchen butane torches - they were a waste of time & money.

I just purchased a cooking torch with butane canisters. The instructions say that I should remove the canister from the torch after using it. Is this really necessary? Does every do this? Would just be more difficult to store if I had to do this each time. Thanks.

I never remove mine. No problems, yet. If it is leaking, you will smell it very quickly.

CD

I have both, plus a Searzall attachment for the propane torch.

The Butane kitchen torch is much better at doing subtle duties, like putting a crust on a creme brûlée. I use the propane torch and Searzall for things like putting a sear on sous vide steaks.

CD

I have both, plus a Searzall attachment for the propane torch.

The Butane kitchen torch is much better at doing subtle duties, like putting a crust on a creme brûlée. I use the propane torch and Searzall for things like putting a sear on sous vide steaks.

CD

yes we do all that plus other uses you may not have considered, need to warm a cold batter to make it mix quicker?, just torch the bowl.
I like the MAP gas cylinders, its quite a bit hotter/faster than propane.

https://youtu.be/_DUSJTlbfII

The refillable butane kitchen torches are great for silver smitthing, and jewelry work. The heat is controllable enough to keep from burning through the base metal. Just saying.:ermm:

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom