Fun camping food story

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

craftybrat

Assistant Cook
First I want to invite everyone to tell me your funniest/smilyiest camp cooking story.

I still remember Mom throwing all the silverware along with the dish water up at a small fire that sparked on a bush that we were to close to and then searching for days to find the silverware so we could eat.

Dodging hungry yellow jacket swarms as we tried to cook.

We got glared at from neighbor campers as we sat around the campfire barely moving as the dinner cooked and the potatoes cooked and the Apples roasted. I knew we were both really in need of a brake had planned for supper simple foods that could be cook over the fire. Everything smelled super yummy and all the cookware and dishes were a couple of sticks from my trees, and paper plates, so burnable everything. As I told hubby to do the dishes and we threw all our 'stuff' on the fire. I turned just in time to hear one of the ladies from a super sized RV tell her hubby it was his turn to do the dishes. He and his friend(?) both had their arms full of dishes.... If looks could kill we would not have survived the night. And no our fire was not nearly as smoky as theirs was and it was blowing into our camp.

So what is your story? I most of us have some...

As a teen, with two buddies, in a makeshift shelter of cut willow branches, and a couple of tarps, we were coking super in foil pouches, each of us making our own dinner. We had some wild snowshoe rabbit, harvested in the fall of the previous year, (cleaned and frozen), carrots, potato, onion, S & P, and butter. I had the knife, and we used clean shale as our cutting board. We Made our meals. One of the guys brought his Malamute dog along. We used my boat to cross the river.

I took my foil-pack dinner out of the fire; and it was done perfectly,with all that butter coating everything. My best freind pulled his out just minutes after I did. His was a little undercooked as the fire wasn't as hot because he set his foil-pack inches and to the side of the burning wood embers. He had to wrap again and cook for another five minutes or so.

Seeing the undercooked meal, the friend with the dog left his dinner in the heart of the fire until the other one was removed. He opened it up. It was so charred, not even his dog would touch it. I shared mine with him.

As a favor, he took my wet sneakers and placed them by the fire to dry ou, as they were wet due to the virtual grassy swamp we were camping in. I awoke the next morning to the wonderful aroma of melting rubber (my sneakers! 50 years later, I still remember that weekend camping trip. We were just like Huck Finn, on a 3/4 mile wide, 40 foot deep river, but with a boat instead of a rft. good times, good memories.

I also had a cousin, who on a cold fall, boy Scout primitive campout, snuck in a bottle of vodka. Yeh, he got toasted. I really hadn't though it possible that someone could relieve themself on a campfire, andthe urine stream would be like a miniature flame thrower, until that night.

To be fair, we had an outstanding scoutmaster, and assistant scoutmaster who would have stopped the drinking, had he known about it.

And somehow, we survived.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Not a true camping story, but it did take place outside ( an air conditioned house that we rented in Maine one summer).

When we got to the house, we saw it had a fire pit outside, and decided it would be fun to make s'mores with the kids over an open fire. My wife got the ingredients needed as I built the fire. Her and the kids came outside to put the s'mores together and heat over the open fire. The second they came out, they were all complaining that its was too hot and buggy outside, and were getting bitten by mosquitos .... They all went back inside and cooked their s'mores in the microwave as I put out the fire while getting bitten up. I was definitely cursing a lot. It wasn't a true fire pit, but more like an open are with a Buch of large rocks forming a circle to make a camp fire in. I didnt feel comfortable letting it burn out un attended.

Removing small pieces of C-4 from a Claymore mine to heat up our C-rations.

Two of the many things the U.S. Army turned me off of; camping and hiking!

My nephew, when shopping with his mom, put a bag of Gummy Bears in the cart for his and dad's upcoming camping trip. Had a great camp dinner and then polished off the bag of gummy bears......later that evening both spent the night running in and out of the tent to do their business...a lot! Unknown to them, my nephew had picked up a bag of Sugar-Free gummies. Great snack if you've been impacted for a month, but causes extreme gastric/intestinal distress and the runs............

My nephew, when shopping with his mom, put a bag of Gummy Bears in the cart for his and dad's upcoming camping trip. Had a great camp dinner and then polished off the bag of gummy bears......later that evening both spent the night running in and out of the tent to do their business...a lot! Unknown to them, my nephew had picked up a bag of Sugar-Free gummies. Great snack if you've been impacted for a month, but causes extreme gastric/intestinal distress and the runs............

Yeah, too much of the sugar alcohols, that are often used in sugar-free candies, is known for having laxative effects.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom